Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a pop up plug mechanism which has a plastic cap on it?

waynelmorris
Just Starting Out

How to replace a pop up plug mechanism which has a plastic cap on it?

Plastic cap over pop up waste mechanismPlastic cap over pop up waste mechanism

I went to replace a pop up sink mechanism and followed the YouTube videos BUT my pop up waste mechanism has a plastic covering (cap) over the flanges that would normally allow me to place a pair of multi grips on it to loosen the mechanism. So how do I remove the old mechanism, should I just break the plastic cap off or is there another way?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a pop up plug mechanism which has a plastic cap on it?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @waynelmorris. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a popup waste.

If the waste is not functioning, then I see no reason you shouldn't take the easiest route, which is to break the plastic cap off. It appears to be a press fit on the central column. You might like to grip it with your pliers and pull it straight up. It might jump over those little barbs holding it in place.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Mitchell, the pop up works sometimes, but what is the plastic cap for and will I need to put it back on the new pop up mechanism? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Take another look, @waynelmorris. Is the plastic disc pushed onto the screwed section? If so, can it just be unscrewed off? It might be required for your style of popup to function correctly, so if you can remove it without damaging it, that would be best.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects