Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a pop-up waste plug?

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

How to replace a pop-up waste plug?

hello all. the popup plug in my bathroom vanity just snapped off something and wont work (ie stay down). Can I replace it, or will I need to get a plumber?  I’m hoping not the latter as I think it will be impossible to get anyone until next year!  I’ve included a pic but I don;t know if that helps!  Cheers Elle

IMG_0051.jpegIMG_0050.jpeg

Usedbloom
Having an Impact

Re: Popup plug replacement

Hi @Elle44 you should be able to simply replace it with a new one like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-pop-up-waste-mechanism_p0014718 

You'll just need to unscrew the broken portion still in the sink (using a pair of needle-nose pliers might do it) and screw this new one on. You can also reuse the plug part with the rubber seal (in your photo) - again just unscrew and reattach :smile: 

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Dear Usedbloom, thank you for your reply.  It sounds very encouraging!  I had a look at the link you provided and the measurements they give seem to be larger than the broken one of mine.  Does that matter? Cheers Elle

Hi @Elle44 

Take the broken bit to bunnings and talk to plumbing staff and see if they have more  parts avaliable some time  the search function in bunnings site misses requested items,  

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Good idea Jewellery rescue!  Thanks for your suggestion.  Cheers Elle

Hi @Elle44,

The item @Usedbloom helpfully suggested might suit if we're lucky. As @Jewelleryrescue mentioned, it's best to take the two sections into your local store, and a helpful team member can help you match it up. An alternative way to get you out of a pickle would be to purchase the same pop-up waste and remove the mechanism from that. That might avoid a call to a plumber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

They do come in different sizes so best to take the original in store and check out the range there to see if there’s one available. 

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Hi all, thank you for your suggestions.  I just wanted to check first to make sure that I have what you are suggesting.  I’ve attached a pic but I haven’t been able to disconnect the bottom part — do I need to try harder or was their older types which had a different mechanism?  Cheers ElleIMG_0366.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

When you mentioned that it snapped off, was there a piece inside the base, or had the top just been pulled off @Elle44?

See that cylinder in the middle? That's likely the lower section of it. If you can grip that with needlenosed pliers, you should be able to turn it anti-clockwise and unscrew it. 

Without knowing a brand, it's difficult to tell what parts disassemble, but typically, a screwed-in section must be removed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @Elle44 

I suggest bringing your broken parts to the store and comparing them to the Kinetic 32mm Chrome Pop-Up Waste Cover in combination with the Kinetic Pop-Up Waste Mechanism. These are generic replacement parts so it's critical that you compare your old parts to the new ones making sure that they are the same size and shape.

Red

post.jpgpop-up.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects