Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a pop-up waste plug?

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

How to replace a pop-up waste plug?

hello all. the popup plug in my bathroom vanity just snapped off something and wont work (ie stay down). Can I replace it, or will I need to get a plumber?  I’m hoping not the latter as I think it will be impossible to get anyone until next year!  I’ve included a pic but I don;t know if that helps!  Cheers Elle

IMG_0051.jpegIMG_0050.jpeg

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Re: Popup plug replacement

Many thanks Mitchell.  I think you’re right, but I can’t move it.  I’ll visit Bunnings with my bits and see what they say.  Have a great NYE.  Elle

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @redracer01 I shall take the lot to Bunnings and see what they say.  Thanks for your suggestions.  All the best for NYE.  Elle

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How did you go finding a replacement @Elle44?

Please let us know if we can assist further.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to replace a pop-up waste plug?

Elle44

We have the same plugs in our 5 year old house. Initially I replaced them. You will have to get the middle bit out. Ie the vertical piece it will leave a y in the bottom with a threaded centre to screw the new one into. Personally we have given up and are now replacing them with normal plugs, also available at Bunnings. A lot easier and better water flow. We got the fancy ones with the chrome centres. JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JDE 

Let me tag @Elle44 to make them aware of your suggestion. I'm hoping that the parts they have are compatible with the ones at the store. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Hi all , thanks for the new suggestions.  Yes @JDE you're right.  Although it didn’t occur to me to change the whole thing.  I ended up getting the plumber (he had to go to Bunnings 2x to get the right part — so presumably they do have them but they’re not the usual!).  Next time I’ll get him to change it entirely, be better to have the ones that can be easily replaced.  Thanks again everyone, saved me a lot of trouble! Elle

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects