Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace cartridge in Mondella Rococo shower mixer?

bak4more
Getting Established

How to replace cartridge in Mondella Rococo shower mixer?

Hi, just having a little trouble & unsure about the final steps to remove the cartridge.

I've removed the handle fairly easily. Next is where I'm stuck. Nothing online shows an exploded view of assembly or how to separate. Other mixers have instructions saying to undo the chrome (cover) ring to expose the brass nut.

Unfortunately the chrome ring isn't going anywhere. I've tried a rubber strap wrench but no go.

I see a new one comes preassembled & this (cartridge) would have been fitted from factory as it's original with new house.

In all the time I've lost I've found out more about Mondella & it's supplier to Bunnings, KSG, than actually what I need.

There are 4 square holes on inside of head which could be a keyway for a special tool. But who knows.

I'd appreciate some directions please.

1000007825.jpg

Re: How to replace cartridge in Mondella Rococo shower mixer?

Hello @redracer01 & @MitchellMc

Thanks for chipping in. I'm not sure a pic from the side with make much difference to what I/we know. Although please see attached.

Essentially, I'm just trying to replace the leaking cartridge. My issue was not being able to remove the chrome cover ring (flange) thus far.

Having removed the square backing plate on the wall there doesn't even seem to be enough room to undo the square "copper sleeve". The tiles have been cut snug & square & won't give clearance to rotate through corners.

Hence, I wanted to be sure about disassembly so I don't damage just for a cartridge replacement.

Unfortunately there are no signs of thread from the outside. All that's visible is the chrome cover.

Not knowing about a broad range of mixers I was concerned whether the cover flange is integrated with the retaining nut in this case (2 in 1).

Looking at the Rococo spec sheet the backing plate size isn't shown. 117mm was a spec on the sheet for the depth from the handle to outside of brass T piece ("body" in exploded view of a very similar product).

I humbly take your point. I wasn't so aware of all the shower mixers that are almost identical to the Rococo. I see online there are other generic & name brands with the same size backing plate, the same size handle & body. Huh & duh!

Well, I assume the square cutouts are there to make it easier to apply leverage for the chrome cover flange. Then the brass nut with flat sides should be underneath. I have read that other DIY people have had a job of a time getting the chrome dress (cover) ring off.

Thanks for everyone's support in getting me a step closer to avoid instant regret!

1000007911.jpg

1000007910.jpg

1000007914.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bak4more,

Thanks for the images. We needed them to see if there was a cover over the nut. I might have missed it, but I didn't click that you'd mentioned there was a domed cover. I presumed the issue was that you couldn't remove the retaining nut. On the Rococo, admittedly straight out of the box, I was able to unscrew that dome cover easily. I suspect yours is gummed up and hard to unscrew; that's if it is the same design as the Rococo.

Try applying some cloth tape around the retaining nut to protect it and gently clamping vise-grips onto it, and turning anti-clockwise. Be careful not to scratch the cover.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for your help & prompting.

I roughed out a special tool & it was a 2 in 1. The retaining nut & cover wasn't on all that tight because it doesn't need to be. That's considering cartridge isn't metal & all that's really needed is the o'ring compression & seating.

Hopefully this helps anyone else with this design. It's hard to know if enough grip would be gained without marking surface. That's when trying to undo via chrome cover part on the outside. Plus, with special tool you get a good feel for just enough torque without overtightening.

Now I just need to match up... Phew!

1000007920.jpg

1000007922.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wonderful work @bak4more. I'm so pleased to know you resolved the issue.

Well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects