Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace grout?

smhok
Finding My Feet

How to replace grout?

Hi all,

Needing some advice about my shower.

1/ Is it possible to add grout as we have some missing parts

IMG_7743.JPG

2/ Would this be mould? What would be the best way to remove / treat it? I have tried using mould remover which hasn't been effective so would I need to remove and silicon and reapply? This is between floor and wall tiles.

IMG_7745.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace grout?

Hi @smhok 

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to repair floor tile grouting? by @lukec. When replacing grout, I often suggest using a multitool in combination with a Diablo 70mm Multi-Function Tool Ultimate Grout And Mortar Blade. However, if you are only doing a small repair, I suggest using QEP Carbide Grout Saw. I propose removing only what is loose, chipped and damaged. 

Before filling the gap, make sure that it is clean and free of debris. I recommend using Dunlop 800g Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout in combination with a QEP 6" Handyman Squeegee. Wipe off any excess grout with a damp sponge and don't allow it to dry off on top of the tile.

In regards to the mould on the silicone sealer, if it is too well embedded it will need to be removed and replaced. I suggest using Selleys 300g White Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant. I recommend using CornerTape Standard Silicon Remover to remove the old silicone.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when repairing the grout lines.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects