Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shower head?

favorite0295
Growing in Experience

How to replace shower head?

Hey!

I have this shower unit which appears to be an actual single shower unit, meaning there are not separate tiles. I don't really know what it's called.

It has the very old style shower head and I'm looking to replace it with a Caroma unit. I think the piping should fit well enough but any idea what I would use to drill the holes for a bottom mount? The sides of the shower unit feel plastic to me so I guess any regular type drill should work but I thought I'd check here to confirm I'm not messing things up.

I would also love it if someone could share any tips on detecting pipeworks behind the wall so I don't end up with an endless sideways fountain.

1000084580.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing shower head

Hi @favorite0295,

I would suggest this is a job best carried out by a suitably licenced plumber.

The issue I see is that despite your best efforts to locate the supply pipe, due to the location you would need to drill, it is very possible for you to hit the supply line which would result in a costly repair.

Having a plumber come out to quote the job means you would have a fixed price for the job and if a supply line was hit, they would be liable for the repair.

It is likely that their method of install would involve drilling through the shower liner using a standard drill bit and using a suitable hollow wall anchor to screw the bottom mounting point into.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects