Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shower screen?

SarangR
Growing in Experience

How to replace shower screen?

Hi Team,

Seeking for some guidance over here. 

Looking at replacing our aging shower screen with a new one.

Exploring frameless shower screen option to have a bit of modern finish to the bathroom.

Current shower screen as you will see form the image is sitting on a Hob. 

It seems solid when you knock on it(seems like Hebel Stone).

Got a couple of guys to provide options on replacement with frameless screen.

One of them did not make any fuss about the hob to install frameless shower screen however the second person made it as a concern item advising frameless will not be an option.

Would like to pick up some guidance from members as to whether this hob just sits on top of the tile floor or is like a wall separating shower vs bathroom area. Is there any way to find it out.

IMG-1666.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace shower screen?

Hi @SarangR,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. 

Let me tag ever-helpful members @Vis-á-vis@redbournreno and @MikeTNZ for their thoughts. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also try to assist as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SarangR,

I'm not seeing any particular hob to speak of. It appears like just the frame of the shower you are referring to. A hob is typically a built-up section, that holds water back from escaping the area. Perhaps it's just the picture, though.

There's a whole myriad of regulations that accompany shower installations. I'd be of the opinion that removing what you have and installing a frameless option is possible, but you can run into difficulties. Say, for instance, that the installers of your current shower screen have not installed a water stop as per regulations. You'd need to install one to meet regulations and this would involve lifting tiles. 

I'd tend to side with the second person and installation will take some work, it's not as simple as removing what's there and replacing it with a frameless version. You could do that, but it might not meet code.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

SarangR
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you very much for taking out time and responding to my post. Appreciate your assistance on the matter.

Frankly, I am trying to fingure out in all this investigation whether the white border on which the shower screen sits today is:

• just resting on tile surface ( it means job is much simpler for new shower installation )
  • or forms a gap betwen tiles similar to hbo ( which means job gets complicated )

I have attached a couple of more snaps for reference to see if you are able to make any judgement.

Thank you

SarangTop ViewTop ViewFull ViewFull ViewSide ViewSide View

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SarangR

Thanks for posting those extra photos of your shower assembly. On closer inspection, it looks like the frame is just sitting on the tile. However, the builder may have used a very strong adhesive to stick the frame onto the tile. There is the possibility that trying to remove the shower frame could result in the tile floor being damaged.

In these circumstances, I would advise you to prepare for the possibility that you will have to replace or repair your tiled floor. Because you've prepared for the more expensive renovation, you won't be unprepared if it goes in that direction. The big plus of course is that it could turn out to be an easy reno.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your new shower installed.

Eric

redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @SarangR,
It is quite difficult to know for certain from any of your photos unfortunately. But you are right to try and seek help.
Were you considering new wall and floor tiles at all? That would make it a bigger job, probably with waterproofing required. If that is your plan then it doesn't matter what it currently is.
It looks like the join between the little 'hob' and floor tiles is grout in the photo, which makes me think it is integrated with the floor tiles and not worth removing unless you plan to replace all the tiling. In that case the new frameless screen needs installing on top of the hob.
However, there is a lot of sealant between the shower frame and the hob and I can't tell if the bottom frame is sitting in a channel of the hob or just flush on top. If it is a channel then you will not be able to install a frameless screen on top, in my opinion. If the hob is flat on top then I don't see a problem putting a frameless screen on top, the silicone sealant will need complete removal, and you will still see the white hob.
Be aware that a quality glazier will be able to deal with out of square walls and floors that are difficult using prefab screens. But if your walls are square then it's OK.
Good luck! It is a tricky one without close inspection.

SarangR
Growing in Experience

Hi @redbournreno 

Thank you for taking out time to respond.

Ended by getting a professional tiler to visit and provide guidance.

Well, the hob is actually forming a channel between tiles which means frameless is not an option ( unless major renevotation which I don't intend to do it currently)

Going to consider a semi-framelss option which can sit on top of the current hob and move om.

Will keep posted with updates.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated @SarangR, and reach out if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects