Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore a bathtub?

Jags1927
Just Starting Out

How to restore a bathtub?

image.jpg

Hi

Do you have any suggestions on how to repair our bath without buying a new bath please

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bath Enamel

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jags1927. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a bathtub.

You're going to need to do a bit of sanding first to remove the rough surface and the rust, which will also need to be treated. You can then use paint designed for re-coating a bath, like White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. I've used it a couple of times before and have been very satisfied with the results.

Please be advised that due to its age, there is a high likelihood that the painted coating on your bath contains lead. Please just presume there is, and wear safety glasses, gloves, disposable overalls and a respirator. Also, only wet sand the surface to prevent dust. Remember to also have the area well-ventilated and wear similar gear when painting the bath.

Here's a helpful guild on How to paint a bath

Let me mention @raceytrace as they have painted their bath, and I would love to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects