Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore claw feet on bath?

jamdanicky
Finding My Feet

How to restore claw feet on bath?

Hi guys, I want to redo the claw feet on my bath tub, but am unsure how and what to use. I am not sure what type of metal they are made from.

17139207614896871146438986244045.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore claw feet on bath?

Hello @jamdanicky 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your claw foot bath.

The most common material used for the claw foot itself is either steel or aluminium. It's a given that the foot will need to be sanded down in order to restore its surface finish. But it's important that surface must not scored too deeply otherwise it will leave large scratches on its surface.

I propose using Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll - 400 Grit to restore the surface finish. I don't recommend a lower grit as it will start eating into the surface of the foot. Once you are satisfied with the finish, I suggest washing the foot with water and detergent to remove all the sanding dust.

Once the foot is totally dry, I suggest using the Dulux Duramax set:

The general steps are to mask the bath with drop sheets and masking tape to prevent it from accidentally being painted. The foot needs to be primed first and allowed to cure, it's then followed by the topcoat again allowing it to harden properly before putting a final clear protective coating over the topcoat.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects