Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal bricks for a bathroom?

Pat73
Just Starting Out

How to seal bricks for a bathroom?

Hello, I’m renovation a garage bathroom as the existing one had asbestos. It’s back to bare brick and we like the industrial look. We wanted to keep the exposed bricks but seal them from the shower splashes. What clear sealant would be best.

thanks

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: sealing bricks for a bathroom

Hi @Pat73 

Try this sealer it has good penertrating powers.

Crommelin 500ml Shower Sealer And Waterproofer

$51.69

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sealing bricks for a bathroom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pat73. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing bricks.

If this is outside the shower recess, then @Jewelleryrescue has made a great suggestion. Just bear in mind that bathrooms are required to be waterproofed in order to meet code. So, within the shower area, you'd need to waterproof it with a membrane up to 1800mm. This can't be done with the mentioned product, and I am unaware of a clear waterproofer that will retain the brick's appearance. Outside of the shower recess, I recommend you reference AS 3740 Wet Areas requirements or speak with a licensed waterproof to determine whether your walls need a membrane applied to a certain height.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects