Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal gap between basin and benchtop without using filler?

nicherbs
Finding My Feet

How to seal gap between basin and benchtop without using filler?

I've replaced an oval basin in a wooden vanity top and there is a small gap where the new basin (smaller than the old one) sits.

Is there a product which can cover the gap without using filler?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is there a way of sealing a small gap in a basin vanity top without using filler

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nicherbs. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling gaps.

It would be really helpful for our members when offering advice if they could see the gap you're referring to. If you could upload a few images, that would be fantastic. Let me know if you need assistance posting them.

Traditionally, gap fillers or silicone caulking would be used in such a situation. Is there some reason why you wouldn't want to use them? If you haven't successfully applied silicone neatly in the past, consider picking up one of these Monarch 17 Piece Complete Caulking Kits. It includes internal cove tools for a nice transition between the benchtop and sink.

I'll be looking forward to those images and providing further assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Is there a way of sealing a small gap in a basin vanity top without using filler

Hi Mitchell

Here are some pics of the new basin.There is a 12mm stain left from the old one. I'd like to use a surround or tape to avoid having to sand, fill and re-coat the vanity top.

thanks.

b1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nicherbs,

Thanks for those images. It now sounds like you are referring to the uncoated section on the bench. There is no surround tape that I am aware of. Typically in such situations, you'd touch up the areas by applying another coat of a similar sealer to what had previously been used. It looks like it was potentially some type of benchtop oil instead of a hard varnish coating. I'd recommend you do your first touchup coat on only the raw timber that has been exposed and then follow up by recoating the entire bench. No need to sand as you might find the two timber areas blend well together.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

Many thanks for your input. I've sanded around the old timber, sealed with varnish and silicone. Looks good.

regards. Steve

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Feel free to share some pics with us if you'd like; I'm sure our members would be keen to see your efforts.

Well done!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects