Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to temporarily repair a leaking shower base?

1880s_Cottage
Just Starting Out

How to temporarily repair a leaking shower base?

Hey Community,

We are approximately 5 months away from gutting the bathroom and renovating it. Our main concern right now is to secure the leaking shower.

Originally, the bathroom had pebble tiles, but they started popping up and exposed the waterproofing membrane towards the end of last year. While we were away in December, we let it dry out, and then applied a temporary fix using polyester resin over the surface. We also added some silicone on the sides for extra protection.

Unfortunately, after about a week of showering, we noticed parts of the shower changing colour and discovered small hairline cracks. It seems like there is a water leak again...

Currently, the shower is out of action and we have placed two fans on it to help it dry out. Unsure how long this process will take?

Is there a product that I can use to coat the new shower floor and cover the small cracks temporarily?

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 1.53.34 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 1.55.56 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 1.55.47 pm.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shower Leak Temporary Fix Before Bathroom Renovation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @1880s_Cottage. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a shower floor.

Unfortunately, you can't apply coatings over your existing floor to resolve leaks. The pebble tiles should have been pulled up and the membrane inspected and repaired if possible. Sorry, just noticed this is a temporary fix, so I understand your efforts.

From your image, I can't distinguish the cracks you're referring to. Could you take a closer image for us? Perhaps you could just fill them with silicone too.

How do you know the shower is leaking? Regardless of the cracks or the pebbles popping off, if the membrane is doing its job, then any water that leaks through the shower floor should be directed to the drain.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects