Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would you mix taps and water lines?

taronga
Finding My Feet

How would you mix taps and water lines?

I have hot and cold taps outside that I would like to be able to mix and attach a hose fitting to. We're getting the kids an inflatable water slide for Christmas, and with the weather not being super hot, I thought I might try and rig something up to let them use it for a day or two. Just wondering if anyone has any clever ideas. It doesn't need to be pretty!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How would you mix taps and water lines?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @taronga. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

Can you please share some photos of your taps and what you want to attach them to? We can then make sure we provide more helpful and specific advice for you. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be more than happy to suggest suitable products. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason,

thanks for that. Photo below!

taps.jpg

Hi @taronga 

It looks  like your taps allready has the ability to mix water? 

That coppery looking pipe fitting to the right tape handle looks like a one way valve. So depending on which tape is hot and which one is cold in the photo turning that middle  lever tap on will divert and  mix cold with hot  or hot with cold.

Try running the hot tap until hot water  reaches tap ready for an experiment.

Now  take hose off  for now and turn on cold tap to a  gentle slow flow and  now open the middle tap  valve and see if more water comes out from the hot tap?  As that should be the hot water mixing with the cold. 

If  this  dosnt work turn off  two side taps now turn on hot tap as a very slow flow and see if cold  water mixes  with it and water volume should increase too.

This  is an unusual tap arrangement please let us  know   if this works. If so  enjoy the water slide.

Haha thanks, that's so simple but never clicked! thank you I'll try it and get back to you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @taronga 

That's spot-on advice from @Jewelleryrescue. That switch in the middle of your assembly is a bypass ball valve. By keeping your hot tap off and turning the bypass on it will mix with the cold water giving you nice warm water depending on the pressure that's coming out. So, it will come down to balancing the output of the hot and cold water.

My best advice is to do the mixing slowly until you get the temperature you are after. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects