Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Insufficient thread on tap spindle

n1ck94
Just Starting Out

Insufficient thread on tap spindle

I recently purchased the Mondella Black Resonance Pin Lever Wall Top Assembly taps to replace the existing, very dated, taps in my shower.

The problem I think I am having is that the existing seat is too far back. So when the base of the spindle is snug in the seat, there is insufficient threads left on the spindle for the locking nut. This did not seem to be a problem for the previous washer-type spindle as it could extend further, see diagrams/photos below.

n1ck94_0-1645273810043.png

n1ck94_1-1645273833698.png

Is anyone aware of a spindle extender that would work here? I have not been able to find a suitable one. Or is there a different approach I might be able to take? Would be great if I didn't have to revert back to handles with washer-type spindles.

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Insufficient thread on tap spindle

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @n1ck94. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing tap spindles.

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties installing your new taps. You can try the Kinetic 28mm Ceramic Disc Spindle Extenders. The addition of Kinetic 20 - 25mm Spindle Top Extenders might also assist. Unfortunately, issues can arise where if you move the spindle further out, the spindle flange might not screw down far enough to mate with the wall, leaving a gap exposed.

You might like to read through these previous discussions, which have plenty of input: 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc,

Appreciate your quick response.

Regarding the 28mm extenders, my concern is that the base of the extender won't reach the seat. When I had the spindle installed such that the spindle base was snug against the seat, there was only 1-2 threads protruding (not enough for locking nut to take hold of anyway), and the extender appears to be somewhat shorter. See very rough comparison below.

n1ck94_0-1645446442061.png

I can try the extender option over the weekend and return them if they don't fit, unless there is an alternative option?

Regarding the Kinetic 20 - 25mm Spindle Top Extenders option, I don't understand how these would help, don't they extend the section at the top of the spindle that the handle mates with?

Cheers,

Nick

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @n1ck94,

As you've mentioned, you'll likely need to give the extenders a go to find out if they're suitable. They do look a bit short now that you've highlighted that.

There are no real alternatives that I can think of apart from trying to source longer spindles. Perhaps if you popped some Kinetic 12mm Push In Tap Seats in, they'd reduce the depth by 1-2mm and possibly allow you to get the locking nut on.

I've included the top extenders as a preemptive measure in case you struggle to get your flange and handle on. Quite often we see that even if you can get the locking nut on you'll run into a similar issue in which not enough spindle is exposed to fix the handle onto it. 

Mitchell

Enhengsoso
Just Starting Out

Hi Nick (@n1ck94)

Just wondering if Kinetic 28mm Ceramic Disc Spindle Extender sorted out your issue? I am having the same problem now and thinking to buy this item.

Cheers,

Enheng

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Enhengsoso

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @n1ck94 to make them aware of your question. It would be good to know if the Kinetic 28mm Ceramic Disc Spindle Extenders sorted out the problem. For some reason, certain spindle housings were built deeper and therefore needed to have extra long spindles, this in effect made it very difficult to upgrade or repair as you are forced to use the same long spindle in order for the unit to seal properly.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your taps repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know,

Eric 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects