Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it OK to mix gloss and satin finishes?

hrpaul
Getting Established

Is it OK to mix gloss and satin finishes?

I have a glossy white bathroom vanity. I am putting in a kaboodle cabinet..possibly two and dont know whether to use the egg white(high gloss) or the macaron (satin finish)..given that both of them are a differemt white to the warm white of the vanity. Should i stick to high gloss  and just accept the colour difference or the satin..and have a colour difference  and a finish difference.

The cabinet and vanity are not smack up against each other.but in the same room

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: mixing finishes

Hello @hrpaul 

I'm putting my vote with the egg white (high gloss). Being white it will not be immediately noticeable that there is a colour difference unless you look at it for a certain amount of time. Quite often people entering the bathroom are either going for a shower or washing their hands. Plus, the high gloss finish is easier to clean.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno and @Peggers for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @hrpaul ,

I'd stick to high gloss since you already have a gloss cabinet in there.  The whites will be less noticeably different if both are gloss.  The egg white will be fine with a standard white vanity.

Just be aware of the other colours you have in the room because that is where you could come unstuck. I would avoid white paint or white tiles all around the vanity and cabinet because this is where clashing whites may start to cause problems, and look odd. Get the colour swatches for egg white from Bunnings and check it is OK next to your tiles or wall colour.

If you have white walls or tiles and it will start looking back with different whites, then I would pivot and get either a timber look cabinet, or one of the glass LED styles where the cabinet behind the glass isn't very visible from the front or sides.

And remember, softening a bathroom with greenery and timbers will always help bring different ideas together and look cohesive.

Happy days!

Hi @redbournreno,

I abandoned the white tile and white wall idea once I put it all against the white vanity and white bath and white cabinet..looked horrendous.

I found a floor/wall tile I like in an off white travertine  to contrast..i it think  it looks ok.

I will re look at the gloss cabinets again.. thankyou

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects