Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this glue or mould underneath tiles?

AnitaP
Having an Impact

Is this glue or mould underneath tiles?

I've ambitiously decided I would rip out these tiles in my bathroom. These tiles don't get wet. I was wondering if this is just glue or glue and mould?

And how do I remove it?

20240126_143350.jpg

20240126_143355.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mould?

Hi @AnitaP,

I suspect it's some dark-coloured glue and not mould or a water-proofing membrane. Is it rubbery at all?

In regard to its removal, does it need to be? What will you be finishing this area with? Will you be re-tiling?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

I have the same issue however I stopped as I was concerned the glue could be an asbestos product? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pipp. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about asbestos.

Asbestos can be found in a variety of building materials. Here's some information from the NSW Gov on Adhesives, dry powder mixes and asbestos. Black mastic asbestos adhesive was typically used more so on vinyl and carpet floor tiles, but that doesn't rule out its use on wall tiles. My advice is that unless you have positively identified it as not containing asbestos, then you should treat it as containing asbestos. This means you should stop, not disturb it and seek professional advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Actually it does all feel rubbery when I touch it.

I was just going to paint over it. I didn't like the tiles going half way up the wall and I didn't want the expense of tiling the entire wall.

What!?!?! Oh man. Didn't know about this. My house is old so it wouldn't surprise me.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AnitaP,

Asbestos can be found in almost every building material apart from timber around older homes. Here's some more information: Where might you find asbestos in your home? 

You'd need to scrape or sand the glue off the surface to remove it. Obviously, neither of these two options would be possible if it did contain asbestos.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects