Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry tap only rotating once or twice around the threaded pipe

dchur
Building a Reputation

Laundry tap only rotating once or twice around the threaded pipe

Hey guys,

I must be going for a record for the number of threads about my laundry project here. Appreciate all your replies and effort.

While I wait for the tile adhesive to dry before applying the grout, I wanted to test out the taps and seals.

This picture is of the laundry sink tap pipe. My problem here is when I put on the plumbers tape to seal it I can only rotate about 1.5times around before it gets too tight. Even using no thread tape it only rotates 1.5 times. The added problem here with only rotating that much is even with the dress flange on the tap, there's about 4mm gap between it and the tiles.

Do I need to clean the threads since they seem to be stopping the tap from rotating any further? I'm wary of causing any damage, because that could be costiler.

Thanks.

13538302-0353-4967-91da-1f1934a49c00.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry tap only rotating once or twice around the threaded pipe

"a few mm gap" that's easily solved with some black silicone @dchur.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Laundry tap only rotating once or twice around the threaded pipe

Hello @dchur didn't the spout come with a backing plate? 🤔

There are always these (see link) plus I have encountered plastic spacer rings for behind backing plates before but am unsure where you would obtain those, generally if the spacer plate is insufficient... I trim the threaded pipe.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-65mm-1-2-black-stainless-steel-round-cover-plate_p4790560

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects