Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry tap only rotating once or twice around the threaded pipe

dchur
Building a Reputation

Laundry tap only rotating once or twice around the threaded pipe

Hey guys,

I must be going for a record for the number of threads about my laundry project here. Appreciate all your replies and effort.

While I wait for the tile adhesive to dry before applying the grout, I wanted to test out the taps and seals.

This picture is of the laundry sink tap pipe. My problem here is when I put on the plumbers tape to seal it I can only rotate about 1.5times around before it gets too tight. Even using no thread tape it only rotates 1.5 times. The added problem here with only rotating that much is even with the dress flange on the tap, there's about 4mm gap between it and the tiles.

Do I need to clean the threads since they seem to be stopping the tap from rotating any further? I'm wary of causing any damage, because that could be costiler.

Thanks.

13538302-0353-4967-91da-1f1934a49c00.jpeg

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: Laundry tap only rotating once or twice around the threaded pipe

Hello @dchur 

Surface preparation is always extremely important, I use a wire brush on a drill to clean threads, ensure you use a barrier like plywood (or similar) to reduce the risk of hitting the tiles with the wire wheel... OR be meticulously carefully 👍

dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks DIYGnome,

I admit I didn't do much, I used a toothpick on the threads but that's it.

Do you reckon a wire brush will better dislodge any gunk causing it to now allow more than 1.5 rotations?

Hello @dchur 

Absolutely, when ever I change out a tap washer or similar I always clean the threads back to the bare brass... this way if thereis any damage (or issue) to the thread you can at least see it, speaking of which, under extreme magnification of the photo you supplied there does appear to be irregularities on the leading threads...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dchur,

Some sound advice there from @DIYGnome. Give the threads a good clean-up and then closely examine them for damage.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks guys.

@DIYGnome yes, I saw that too.

What should I do here? I'm concerned that this is now tiled in, and the pipe is behind masonry wall, I'm hoping this doesn't need to be ripped out but I'd like to get this sorted before I proceed with grouting and silicone for the splashback.

I'm guessing the damage to the threads is likely what's causing it to not go on more than 1.5 rotations.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@dchur,

If you can see that the threads are damaged or cross-threaded, you can sometimes chase them out and restore them by running a hacksaw blade or thin file within the threads. This can open them up enough for the fixture to screw on.

Make sure to put the hacksaw blade in a handle so you don't injure yourself. Also, pop on some gloves and protective eyewear.

Mitchell

dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell.

oh boy, I really don't want to mess this up because this is the threaded copper pipe going into the wall, haha.

I've cleaned the thread as much as I can with what I have and was about to get 3 full rotations of the faucet onto the threading. It's still sticking out from the tiles marginally but I can live with that.

I assume 3 full rotations is enough so long as it's not leaking with the plumbers tape?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@dchur, three full rotations would likely be the minimum. Depending on the style of the spout, you might be able to use one of these cover plates to fill that additional gap.

Mitchell

dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

we're using the Modella range, specifically this for the tap https://www.bunnings.com.au/mondella-black-cadenza-swivel-bath-spout_p0362321

I can't see a black coverplate looking like it matches, however to be honest even a few mm gap with the tiling I can live with if it works.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects