Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice on how to fix a leaky shower

LOTRingoStarrs
Finding My Feet

Need advice on how to fix a leaky shower

Hello, relative DIY newcomer here!

I've got a leaky shower, which I've tried to fix myself but to no avail.

We moved into our new home a couple of months ago and one of the showers has started leaking.

The house is about 20 years old and according to the REA, the previous owner had new shower screens installed before we bought it, so we assumed all was well.

Water leaking out of area circled in red.Water leaking out of area circled in red.Water leaking out of area circled in red.Water leaking out of area circled in red.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I noticed a minor leak. The leak always came out around the two areas below circled in red, however lately I have witnessed the leak in action - it is coming out of those two particular gaps in the shower screen.

Silicone I've added - green was first go, orange was second.Silicone I've added - green was first go, orange was second.Close up of previous siliconeClose up of previous silicone

First, I added the lines in green - there was no silicone here to begin with. Then, I added the areas in orange - on the inside because I thought it would keep the water in, and on the outside areas where there appeared to be gaps in the installation.

Any advice on what I can do to fix the leak would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Need advice on how to fix a leaky shower

Hi @LOTRingoStarrs 

You nearly fixed it on close inspection those vertical lines are cracks  and also joins in the metal work a clear silicon bead inside  over the vertical metal lines and  outside should have your leak sealed in no time. 

Double make sure the base of those joins are sealed to the floor

But where the door closes to the other panel there  will always be a small opertunity for water to splash through as the door is open that 0.5mm  do you see that plastic sealer on the bottom of the door?

placing one of them down the vertical door edge may solve more water leaks.

Sandelford 10 x 1000mm Shower Door Seal I/N: 0166728  $16

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandelford-10-x-1000mm-shower-door-seal_p0166728

Hello @LOTRingoStarrs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing a leaky shower.

It seems that whatever was holding the water back in those gaps has finally failed. I suggest using Selleys 100g Clear Ezi Press Wet Area Silicone Sealant. Press the tip of the dispenser onto the gap to make sure the silicone fills the gap properly both in the front and on the inside of the shower. Please make sure to remove any of the old silicone before applying the new one. 

@Jewelleryrescue's suggestion is spot on, putting on a Sandelford 10 x 1000mm Shower Door Seal should lessen the amount of water spilling out of the shower. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @Jewelleryrescue! I will do that.

Thank you @EricL!

I'll grab the Ezi Press and get cracking!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects