Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I install sliding doors to cover laundry?

hrpaul
Getting Established

Should I install sliding doors to cover laundry?

17070740730853215284215394835101.jpg

Hi

Im torn as to what to do. I have a smallish bathroom and an alcove laundry off it . Im replacing the old tub and top loader and would like a benchtop. My dilemma...is whether to  leave the dryer on the wall..which i only really use in winter to finish off almost dry clothes in winter....or get rid of it...or leave it and put sliding doors in front  of it. There is a little window next to the sink..its not my only source of light..but id be loathed to lose it to a cupboard.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I install sliding doors to cover laundry?

Hello @hrpaul 

It all depends on how much space you have and what budget you have prepared. Looking at the photo you posted, your washing machine takes up at least a space of 610mm. The laundry tub a standard 600mm and a gap of 250mm on either side of the washing machine. 

This gives you a conservative estimated space of 1710mm. If the washing machine was pushed to the very left and dryer placed next to it, that would take a space of 1610 plus a gap allowance for ventilation. the laundry tub must be removed and replaced with a Kaboodle 450 base cabinet.

I then suggest using a narrow laundry tub that will fit into the 450 Kaboodle cabinet base. The entire setup can then be covered with a 600mm timber benchtop. To prevent the light from the window being covered, I suggest two long open shelving sets at the top with no cabinets. This will keep the laundry nice and bright.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hrpaul
Getting Established

Hi Eric

I should have mentioned the dimensions....the space  is 1510. I have bought a new front loader 600 and a sink already Mondella 450 ( which thanks to bunnings  great returns policy I could return). I was thinking of installing a 600 base cabinet. But I'm thinking if I did that and had 2 sliding doors, i wouldnt be able to open the washer.

hrpaul
Getting Established

If I installed a wooden benchtop ...would that be ok in a bathroom? My laundry is in the bathroom.. 

I'm laundry is 1520..inwas hoping to install a proper sized laundry tub 450..which I have already bought..but.could return. And I have a front loader arriving soon. Could I install a 600 base cabinet or would it note work at all?

hrpaul
Getting Established

I like the idea of the open shelves. Thankyou.

My other question is regarding the benchtop. I wanted to leave a gap to the left for tall items so the benchtop would stop short of the wall. My question is how to support it if there is only a washing machine on that side and no cabinet. Can a end panel support a benchtop? Presumably it would have to have a bracket to hold it to the back wall?I was thinking of getting a stone offcut for the bench since it's a short length..but no.mandatory if I can't support it.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hrpaul 

I'm afraid you'll need to reconsider the sliding doors for the laundry as there is just not enough space to make it work. Perhaps standard swinging doors but sliding doors won't fit. 

Since you have a space of 1510mm, your washing machine and laundry tub at 450mm will occupy a space of 1050mm++ and you'll have a gap left at 450mm, technically enough room for a tall narrow pantry if you want. But if you put in a 600mm cabinet you'll end up having a gap of 310mm.

The benchtop can be supported with a base end panel, and it will need to be anchored with angle brackets to the floor and benchtop. You can then use the remaining space for your tall items.

Just be aware that the dryer will have to stay where it is, or you can relocate it to your garage if possible.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects