Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Steel corner shelving support project

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Steel corner shelving support project

On a previous thread @EricL kindly provided a very clever idea for a small laundry shelf support using a steel frame...

456af9de-0e80-444d-bd63-c8a71b4f15ed.default.jpg

It's a small corner area above a laundry tub walled by an adjacent dryer. It's around 600mm X 500mm and It needs to support heavy laundry liquid bottles. Originally I was going with three shelves but test-driving the height - two will suffice as I would not be able to reach the top shelf.

I purchased the steel which is 40mm and 25mm plate, all 5mm thick. I cut one corner length and pre-drilled three holes to see if I could strike a corner stud. All good.

I'm not sure why the original tiler left this 'gap' but it works well as I can extend the shelf beyond the steel arms as it's the same thickness.

20240401_081020.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Steel Corner Shelving Support Project.

Sounds like an interesting project @Noyade. Keep us posted.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Cheers @MitchellMc  - will do.

One of the best things I bought from Bunnings was a small welding table. Inexpensive and fantastic for getting a perfect 90 degree angle. I'm not sure if they still sell them?

I decided against using angle iron - I'll just weld the 40mm plate at 90 degrees later.

20240331_094040.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Progress.

I made the two-armed sides and welded them together to form the frame.

20240401_075727.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I decided against the two vertical pieces connecting the horizontal arms seen in Eric's diagram - and just see how it goes. I can always do it later if necessary.

I cut the wood and used the packaging screws to attach the shelves to the arms.

The shelves were on clearance from Bunnings a few years ago - around $2.50 each when I discovered them.

20240401_100807.jpg

I did forget to remember the bottom side of the cut is not the best side - with melamine.

20240401_100828.jpg

The shelf screws...

20240401_101838.jpg

The back of the steel arms are countersunk.

20240401_101844.jpg

Assembled...

20240401_103211.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Positioned.

Not exactly floating - but with limited bracing seen - it looks OK to me and is very strong. Total weight of the shelving and steel is 10.5 kg.

Cheers.

20240401_110655.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

That looks fantastic! The trimmed down frame I reckon is still just as strong as it is made out of steel. 

Thank you for sharing this excellent project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects