Workshop
Ask a question

How to transform teak Parker dresser into bathroom vanity?

diy_vvv
Finding My Feet

How to transform teak Parker dresser into bathroom vanity?

diy_vvv_0-1716367084586.jpeg

Hi there!

I have purchased a vanity just like this one - it's a Parker dresser, from their nordic range. It's made of solid timber (teak I believe), but the drawers are particle board with veneer fronts. I want to turn it into a bathroom vanity to go with the mid-century style of my apartment. Of course it's going to be a lot of work cutting space in the drawers for the pipes and holes in the top for a bathroom basin to go in, but I am willing to do it.
The BIGGEST problem however, will be making it waterproof, inside and out.

My three questions are:
1. Is it possible to waterproof?
2. What product would I use, and what does the process involve?
3. How durable would the vanity be if I did this (i.e. how many years use would I get out of it)?

Thank you :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Transforming teak Parker dresser into bathroom vanity

Hello @diy_vvv 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your dresser.

Technically you could paint the drawers to make them water resistant but not totally waterproof. Bathroom vanities use a combination of HDF (high density fibre board) and HMR (high moisture resistant board) to withstand the the high moisture content of the bathroom. 

It will be difficult to tell how long the dresser will last in your bathroom, but if painted properly it should be able to provide a fair bit of service before you start seeing the effects of moisture damage. 

A good example of a sealer is the Crommelin 1L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat. It will cover, seal and leave a paintable water resistant coating to all surfaces prior to top coating with water based acrylic paints.

Generally, the process would be to sand down the cabinet and re-seal it from head to toe including the insides. The drawers would probably need to be modified to accommodate the plumbing. Once modified they will need to be painted all over for protection.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Upcycled buffets

I also suggest having a look at this featured project - Bathroom refresh with upcycled timber vanity by @sallie24

Let me call on our experienced members @DanaR, @rubytuesday1953 and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for clarifying that.

Would the response in terms of water resistance be the same if the dresser was full timber? E.g. Oak?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If the dresser were solid timber, @diy_vvv, you could likely use a clear polyurethane varnish to help prevent water penetration. However, the issue is the chipboard. As soon as moisture penetrates it, it begins to swell. With solid timber, as long as the water that penetrated can dry out, very little damage occurs.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi @diy_vvv,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust you get loads of help and inspiration for your projects.

Just thought I'd tag experienced member Claire (@Renowayoflife) as she upcycled a cabinet into a bathroom vanity, which was one of our winners in last year's search for the best D.I.Y. projects in Australia.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects