Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Use spindle extender for deep seat fitting?

wellz
Finding My Feet

Use spindle extender for deep seat fitting?

Hi all,

I need some advice. I recently bought 1/4 Turn Shaw & Mason Basin Set  which are shallow seat and turns out the old basin spindle is deep seat seat. 

My question is can I still use my 1/4 turn spindles by using an extender like the Kinetic Ceramic Disc extender ?

Thanks for your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Use spindle extender for deep seat fitting?

Hello @wellz 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your ceramic spindles.

Deep seat tap bodies were a form of product specialization. Because of the way that it was built, it gave you very little choice but to purchase the exact same type of spindle to repair your taps. Using upgrades wouldn't work because they were just not long enough, or they came in wrong length. 

One repair option is to use the same spindle and put in a new jumper valve. Next is to purchase a generic deep seat spindle, these spindles are made in such a way as to compensate for the different lengths. The third option is to replace the entire set with an Estilo Basin Set. This set contains everything you need to replace your existing basin set and it brings it to current standard spindle sizes of today.

I've placed some images below to give you a better idea of what I'm referring to. 

Please note that some states require that a registered plumber carry out these types of repairs. I suggest having a quick look at the rules and regulations of your local council before you begin taking the spindles apart.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your plumbing repairs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wellz
Finding My Feet

Thanks for the advice @EricL !

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @wellz 

Please keep us updated with your progress, I'm sure our members are keen to see how you'll be repairing your taps. 

Eric

wellz
Finding My Feet

I'm thinking that I should change the fitting to allow for shallow seat 1/4 turn spindles that I already have.

Other than getting the whole basin set, does Bunnings sell individual fitting (I'm not sure what it's called)? 

Screenshot_20230529_140238_Brave~2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @wellz 

The bottom part you are looking at is called a basin stop body. It is sometimes costlier to purchase a single stop body by itself. I suggest purchasing the Estilo basin set and removing the spindles and keeping them for future repairs. You can still replace them with the 1/4 turn ceramic spindles that you like. 

One other option is to purchase a complete ceramic basin set so that you won't have to take anything apart.

Please note that it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, consult your local building authority before starting.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects