Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Washing machine hose too big for tap

Leka1309
Finding My Feet

Washing machine hose too big for tap

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

I have just moved into a new place. 
My washing machine hose is too big for the tap. Is there an adapter I can purchase or something to fill the gap?

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Washing Machine hose to tap

Hi @Leka1309,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for asking your great question about your washing machine tap. 

Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist, so let me tag Workshop members @MikeTNZ@Marty_greenshed, and @hazesnow to see if they have some advice to share in the meantime. 

Feel free to ask the community questions at any time, we are always here to help.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hazesnow
Making a Splash

You will need to purchase a reducing bush from your local big green shed I/N 0260437.

And welcome to our community.

8CD7958C-626D-4CF5-8276-D232E72C13F5.jpeg

Marty_greenshed
Having an Impact

Hi @Leka1309 ,

hazesnow solution is the easiest!  Just don't forget to use plumbers tape.

Cheers

Marty

Thankyou so much for the welcome :smile:

Thanks so much Marty! Very thorough and appreciate the options you provided me with! Many thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Leka1309 

That is spot on advice from @hazesnow and @Marty_greenshed. Just to add to the suggestions made, please make sure to put more thread tape at the end of the cistern tap to prevent the Hex Bush from travelling too far onto the threaded nipple. I suggest a minimum of 4 rolls and a maximum of six, the last two rolls should be at the far end of the threaded area.

I also suggest placing a small plastic basin or cup under the connection for at least a day to make sure there are no slow leaks in your connection. If the basin or cup is dry after the overnight vigil, it will be safe to remove it and you can be confident that the connection is secure.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Leka1309,

Just be aware when fitting that reducing bush to the valve fitting, that you have a large spanner or something to counter-act the torque to tighten the fitting, otherwise you can snap the fitting out of the wall, especially if the fitting in the wall is brass.

Covering the valve with a decent rag or cloth will save you making nasty marks on the valve "handle", some chrome coatings can give really nasty sharp edges if scuffed up by a pipe wrench or things like that.

Just take your time and you should be all good.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects