Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What adhesive to attach bathroom wall panels?

Bel789
Finding My Feet

What adhesive to attach bathroom wall panels?

Hi. 

I need to resurrect an old, old external bathroom (built in around the 1970s) to use while another extension and bathroom is added to the main house. I have had to do repairs which included taking off the pink wall panels in the shower area. I have scrapped the old construction adhesive off both surfaces (the back of the pink panels and off the grey walls underneath).

I need to re-glue these pink panels back onto the grey walls which are some sort of  layered thin surfaced melamine type material with chipboard inside!!! This bathroom is an example of how to NOT build a bathroom! I am not concerned with waterproofing as it will be demolished asap after the new bathroom is finished. I also need to  attached a sheet of Suntuf Palopaque that I bought at Bunnings to an area near the vanity onto these grey walls. 

Can you please tell me which is the best construction adhesive to use to attach these panels. Do I need one made for wet areas with steam from the shower etc.? I would like it to last for as long as I need it to without the panels falling off! 

Cringe!Cringe!

Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom Wall Panels

Hi @Bel789 

Just to be on the safe side, I suggest using Selleys 325g Liquid Nails Rapid Cure Strong Waterproof Adhesive. It's designed to withstand a wide range of temperatures and will work on different kinds of materials. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bel789
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric.

I will be very happy if the panels stay on the walls. I don't want them to fall off and hit my head as I shower with my eyes closed dreaming of my new bathroom!

Hi

I am renovating a shower built in 1955.

I'm going to use the wall art new york (wet area).

There are three sides to the shower.

What adhesive do I use to apply the panel to the old wall (board), because on that wall we have to remove the tiles?

What adhesive do I use over the tiles?

What joiners do I use to join each panel together in the 90 degrees corner?

What is the best tool to cut the panel with?

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Christine1973 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing Wall Art panels.

My apologies for the late reply. You could in theory install the panels over tiles, but it is not recommended as any failure in the tile wall means that the panel will bulge and possibly fail. I recommend removing the tiles and the panel and installing the Wall Art direct to the framing of the shower cubicle as shown in the installation manual.

The recommended adhesives are   Selleys 350g Liquid Nails Heavy Duty and Sika 300ml White Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant - 300ml White. For sealing joints and corners, I suggest using Selleys 300g White Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant.

To join the panels together, I suggest looking at the Wall Art Joiners. There are corner joints, panel joints and panel caps. To cut the panels it's recommended to use a fine-tooth saw.

Here is a link to the installation brochure: Wet Wall Art Installation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects