Workshop
Ask a question

How to remove a stuck washing machine wall tap spindle that is spinning the tap body?

AdmiralCarter
Just Starting Out

How to remove a stuck washing machine wall tap spindle that is spinning the tap body?

Hi everyone, new here and first home buyer with a bit of a fixer upper. 

This is not my first time fixing a tap, but this one has me scratching my head. I have a cold water unit presumably from 2008 (pictured) that provides water to my washing machine. It's leaking from a busted o ring washer on the gasket, but when I go to remove the spindle washer to take out the gasket the whole tap body spins. I can't seem to get the spindle nut to budge, and I'm starting to think it might be either an integrated unit or just so old and gummed up that it won't disconnect. 

Things I've tried: 

-standard pliers on spindle nut

- a pipe wrench on spindle nut

-WD40 on the washer (visible) and inside the fitting around the gasket

- standard pliers and a hammer to try and loosen. 

None of the above has worked in removing the spindle nut. I was going to go get a needle nosed shifter or a really big socket wrench to do the job, but unsure if that would even fix this. Anyone have any advice on what this fitting is, if the spindle can be removed, or if maybe I should just call a plumber and get this thing removed/replaced/handled?

1000008661.jpg

1000008662.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to remove a stuck washing machine wall tap spindle that is spinning the tap body?

Hi @AdmiralCarter 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your washing machine taps.

Most of the things I was about to suggest you've already tried. In this particular situation, I suggest engaging the services of a plumber and have them change the taps for you. I suspect that the old taps have seized up and taking it apart is no longer practical.

I suggest having a look at the Estilo Chrome Washing Machine Set as a replacement set.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects