Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace bathroom wall taps?

steele
Just Starting Out

How to replace bathroom wall taps?

I can't work out how to REPLACE these taps

Is there a special tool required to clip into the back of the tap to remove because I can't find anywhere to be able to remove these

17154269543881174003698481748465.jpg

taps 

Thankyou for helping me 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to replace bathroom taps

Hi @steele,

Thank you for your question on how to replace your shower taps and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

While changing a tap is something that many people can do, it is still worth noting that plumbing is a licenced industry, and it may be worth considering employing the services of a suitably qualified plumber for this job.

I would start by ensuring the mains water is turned off before any work is done to prevent you from getting soaked while working on the taps.

You should inspect all around the tap handles as it's possible there is a grub screw that would need to be removed to allow you to remove the tap handles. If you can't locate a grub screw it may be as simple as rotating the tap handles all the way off the thread on the spindle.

If neither of these options work for you, please reach out so I can investigate further.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @steele and @JacobZ 

"Is there a special tool required to clip into the back"

Yes. It's a small two-pronged spanner (similar to an angle grinder spanner) that is meant to fit under the handle. You can buy them in a kit in the plumbing section at Bunnings.  They're fragile and easily bent.

I once had the same taps as you which in my case were heavily calcified and made the handle impossible to come off (see below).

The conical flange also can make life difficult. Yours do look a little younger?

I wish you luck!  👍

20230417_110519.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

Thanks for that. Is it the little spanner in the Kinetic Spout And Handle Repair Kit I've circled in the below photo that you're referring to?

Appreciate the assistance.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

That's him! 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects