Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are foam tiles able to withstand weight?

nels
Growing in Experience

Are foam tiles able to withstand weight?

I bought a number of interlocking foam tiles to provide a safe dry area to walk and exercise on in the corner of my garage but I accidentally parked on the edge of the area and the tiles that took the weight of the car don't want to return to their original appearance. They are compressed slightly. Is this expected?20240110_093854.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Are foam tiles able to withstand weight?

Hi @nels 

Sorry about your foam.   It  may decompress over time  back to normal  and yes  many  foams are not made for car weights so flatting would be expected.

Rubber mats better suited to car weights  but they are tougher on us too not as soft.

But the perfect thing about your mat is it is modular and replace able. If you damage another join them and create a  mat with two layers for extra  human support.  Well  I need it for old bones you might not, 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are foam tiles able to withstand weight?

Hello @nels 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. The Eva 50 x 50cm Black Solid Interlock Foam Mats is resilient and can be joined together and stood on. But it does have a weight limit and its physical surface can easily be marked or torn.

A typical vehicle has a standard weight of 1.5 tons hence running over the foam will produce damage. You could try using a heat gun to try and get the folded pieces back into shape, but if it does not respond I can only suggest replacing it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects