Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to clean up rusty tools?

Goldmember
Having an Impact

Best way to clean up rusty tools?

0312_CleanRustyTools_03.jpg

Hey all, I've been spring cleaning in the garage and have a bunch of tools that have seen better days. What's the best way to clean them up and get rid of rust?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Best way to clean up rusty tools?

@Goldmember, try soaking them in white vinegar.

Reply: Best way to clean up rusty tools?

I inherited and respect all my Father’s post and pre-war tools .. and  90%  are still in good working condition.  They are ever lasting-reliable-strong-well made and still work. Admittedly they use a little more “elbow grease” in some circumstances (that is when my power tools come to hand).

Although very feminine -  I use my Father’s tools a lot and love doing so and from a young age was an apprentice  DIY’er .. unknown then for little gals!  Used to help him in the garage instead of playing “dolly and pram” with the girls.   (Brings back memories) 

OK .. OK .. back to the subject at hand:  I found these tips  very handy .. they work for me .. put a little more elbow grease in rubbing .. but I can use the tools at hand.

TOOLS 1.jpg

Soak any rusty object in a mixture of Vinegar and Table Salt over night. 1 Tablespoon of Salt for Every Cup of Vinegar and the Rust will Fall off!

TOOLS 2.jpghttp://www.hawk-hill.com/2013/04/removing-rust-from-found-objects-without-scrubbing/

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Reply: Best way to clean up rusty tools?

Brilliant post @BibbyKat, I'd never heard about adding Table Salt to the White Vinegar, but I'll definitely be doing it next time I come across a rusty old treasure.

When you brought up tools from the olden days, it struck a chord with me, they definitely weren't made for the dainty, but they were built to last forever. I now regret that when my Dad upgraded from our heavy, cast iron Ogden push mower, to a self-propelled Qualcast roller mower, that I took to the new mower, & didn't give a thought about keeping the good ol' pushie.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi .. Yes "Treasure" .. great word and describes the old tools very well and "yes" they do last forever.

I still have the old pushie hand mower that my parents purchased in the mid 50's!

Unfortunately, my Mother left it outside and it has rusted up something pitifully. Shame .. this is a job I cannot handle.   So this "treasure" sits under-cover in the garden as a "feature".  

Things that are "old" can still be useful and beautiful and meaningful!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's a resource that should be helpful @Goldmember - How to clean rusty tools.

I'd also add a video below about how to maintain garden tools.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great ... I learnt something. Thanks Jason.
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Lathe and circular saw are 3rd generation and some of the hand tools are too. Lathe is used when needed, the saw is big and dangerous kept but I don't want to use it.

My father made a table saw, think about A4 paper sized table and smaller than grandfather's base plate on his circular saw. Even my father ended up to scared to use it, it should be put somewhere as a warning to others.

Old enough to have used Penetrene before WD40 took over, better stop before I become a Yorkshireman.
BibbyKat
Having an Impact

Reply: Best way to clean up rusty tools?

Yes .. I spray my tools with WD40 ... WONDERFUL stuff !!!!

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Here's a link to Gardening Australia's recommended garden tool maintenance:

Garden Tool Maintenance

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects