Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Built-in garage workshop storage with bi-fold doors

emmakeshome
Having an Impact

Built-in garage workshop storage with bi-fold doors

I needed somewhere to store and organise my growing collection of DIY tools and supplies. The Flexi Storage Home Solutions are the perfect answer but I needed to protect everything from the copious amounts of saw dust that I create. So I custom built these cupboards to enclose the Home Solutions and I added Bi-fold doors so that everything is easy to access when working on my latest project. I finished it off with 4 coats of Dulux Deep Aqua and brass handles for a fun pop!

Steps

Step 1

Build boxes out of 19mm plywood using the Kreg Pocket Hole jig. You can get the plywood cut to size at Bunnings.

IMG_6858.jpg

Step 2

Build base frame for the boxes to sit on and secure into the studs.

IMG_6857.jpg

Step 3

Secure boxes to base frame and studs in the wall.

IMG_6856.jpg

Step 4

Trim out the boxes with the primed pine using wood glue and a braid nailer (or hammer and nails if you do not have one).

IMG_6263.jpg

Step 5

Build the frames for the doors out of the 64mm DAR Pine and the Kreg Pocket Hole jig.

IMG_6855.jpg

Step 6

Router the inside of the door frames using a rebate bit. Then glue and nail the 7mm ply to the inside of the door frames.

IMG_6854.jpg

Step 7

Drill out the holes for the hinges using the Kreg Hinge Jig and then attach the hinges to the doors and then to the cupboards. If you are doing bi-fold doors you can attach the piano hinges now or after painting.

IMG_6853.jpg

Step 8

Sand, prime and paint everything. I used a dark colour so it required a lot of coats!

IMG_6500-2.jpg

Step 9

Attach the Home Solutions to the insides of the cabinet boxes and load all of your chosen accessories. This was the easiest part!

IMG_6852.jpgIMG_6585.jpg

Step 10

Drill holes for each of the handles (I made a little template out of scrap ply so that they were all in the same spot), then screw in your handles.

IMG_6620.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Built-in garage workshop storage with bi-fold doors

Hello @emmakeshome 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your garage tool storage project.

There is nothing in the rules that say that your tool storage area has to be plain and simple. The bi-fold doors you've created are a very nice touch and give your cabinet a nice stylish look. Your choice of construction material is ideal and should provide you with a long service life. How many days did it take to assemble the cabinet? Can you please tell us the name of the colour you've used on your cabinet?

Again, thank you for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @emmakeshome 

Every time I think I have reached a good skill level, someone comes along and steps it up a notch. Nice work! I love how you dressed it with the pine trim, It went from yeah to wooooo in one step. The boxes look solid, and love the rails inside (See I would have just had shelves and not even thought of more ideas) What mad eyou think of the bifold doors? I was thinking maybe if the car was parked and you wanted to get into the cupboard? 

Definently somnething that will stand the test of time.

Dave

sammilne
Having an Impact

This is insanely good! 

raceytrace
Having an Impact

I have tool envy reading this post!!!!
Such good instructions and ideas! 

Love the colour and final look, and nice touch having the power point in the cupboard for charging everything! 

Love it!!!!

renowithrosie
Building a Reputation

I love how this is both creative and practical! Also gorgeous colour choice.

I'm building my skills in the hope I can attempt a project like this one day! 

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It took me all of July to do this build. I was working on it during kids naps and once they went to be at night. If I had more time during the day I am sure I could have smashed it out a lot faster though.

The colour I used is Dulux Deep Aqua - I did so many samples to end up with this one and I love it!

Thanks again,

Emma

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much! I really appreciate everything you said - so kind!

I decided to do the bi-fold doors because I wanted to be able to easily get in and out and around the cupboards/doors whilst doing a project. So its a space saver but also an efficiency decision.

Thanks again!

Emma

Oh thank you! That is so kind of you!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! 

Yes - I am starting to build up a good tool selection haha but there always seems to be more that I want.

Thank you again for your kind words!

Emma

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects