Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garage converted into library room

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Garage converted into library room

I wanted to retrofit my garage to become a usable room, in particular a library. I really have never used a garage for a car, usually to store stuff that is never used again. Now, Well I actually want a workshop! lol That is for another day. (Yes I have plans)

At the start of Covid just by chance I had a carpenter mate who was free and my garage was mostly empty. This is what bumped up the project to be done. I wanted old school style, mixed with something that wouldn't be dated to a set era.

Materials

Multiple of Pine structual MGP10 Blue H2 70*35mm*2.4m

Box of Anka Screw 8mm*75mm Gold passivated Zinc

500 of External Timber Screws Countersunk 10-8*75mm

4L Cabots Natural Decking Oil

Blue paint tape

Paint brush

Pine facing timber

6 of Lane 100*75*2.5mm Satin Stainless Steel Architectural Pin Butt hinge.

Sandpaper

Wood putty

Tools

Nail gun

Makita Compound saw 255mm slide

Nail Gun

Ozito 18V Cordless drill and Impact driver kit

Paint brush

Makita impact drill 

Steps

Step 1

I cleaned the work area wider then I expected to use, just in case. As I was the offsider/labourer I wanted to have as much done as possible to save my carpeter mate extra time. Plus $$$ of course. This is the start of the garage retrofit to lockup/secure stage. 

01 04-05-2019.jpg02 04-05-2019.jpg03 04-05-2019.jpg

04 04-05-2019.jpg

Framing with a nail gun made life a lot easier. We used the nail gun to tack the timber together and then put in two timber screws to each join.

05 04-05-2019.jpg

Yeah mistakes happen but can be worked around. The door frame plus the prebought upper window just would not fit. Close but no go so the solution was to use the face timber to hold the space and frame the rest.

06 04-05-2019.jpg

The Sliding window in place. I was happy with the solution

Step 2

The Side door I wanted fitted into the same area as the old side window. The Lintel didnt have to be changed only two cuts down through the brickwork and across the base were needed. The gas pipe that ran along the side of the house had to be moved also. I wanted to have access to the little courtyard area as it was dead space.

07 04-05-2019.jpg

I wasnt around when the carpenter cut the brickwork... I think he figured to send me to Bunnings for something to get me out of the way :smile:

08 04-05-2019.jpg

Surprising amount of rubble after the cut.

09 04-05-2019.jpg

You can see the gas pipe going around the door area.

10 04-05-2019.jpg

Prepping the underside of the doors with oil so I wouldnt have to worry when they were in.

11 04-05-2019.jpg

Framing up the side door, It went so much easier then I expected.

12 04-05-2019.jpg13 04-05-2019.jpg

The pine facing really brought it together. The measure twice cut once method is a wise way of working... I was told to cut something 1200mm and brain was not working so cut it 1100mm.... Needless to say another piece was needed. That gap on the bottom left was another mistake that "could be filled in with putty" Needless to say no you cant lol Live and learn :smile:

Step 3

The doors I bought from outside bunnings. I only had a short timeline to get them so we could install them. Solid exterior doors. I used three sets of hinges per door as they were heavy. The glass panes were supplied by my carpenter friend (either offcuts or cut to size) I was surprised how easy it was if you knew what was the next step.

14 04-05-2019.jpg15 12-05-2019.jpg16 12-05-2019.jpg

Things to consider is what will behind the open door. I hadnt thought of it or potential dead space area.

17 12-05-2019.jpg

Making sure the door could be closed with the existing roller door still in place. The glass pane (1 piece) had not arrived yet.

19 19-05-2019.jpg

The beading around the glass frame went in so easily. 

20 19-05-2019.jpg

Backfilling the nail holes with putty before sanding and oiling

21 19-05-2019.jpg

Preparation for oiling the timberwork

Step 4

Last steps were oiling and making sure I took the tape off in a timely manner. I must admit I have been slack sometimes and then the tape sticks to the paint or vice versa. 

25 09-06-2019.jpg

Rough plans for the front facing door and window.

26 09-06-2019.jpg

Rough plans for the side door. The final solution was to have the slotted windows on the right hand side. This was to allow for the door being opened and not bumping up against the internal brickwork so easily.

22 26-05-2019.jpg

Carpenter mate really pushed that I seal the timber within days. The sun will discolour it fast.

27 09-06-2019.jpg

Bought a 500 box and almost went through them all for the whole garage.

28 09-06-2019.jpg

Just to give an indication of the actual size I used.

29 09-06-2019.jpg

For the framing of the walls and stud walls for the rest of the project

30 09-06-2019.jpg

I used these to fasten the frame to the concrete. I had never come across them before as I had only used ramset bolts. these worked a dream, very easy to use and even back out of. Make sure the hole is empty of all dust. I snapped my socket wrench by trying to screw one in with dust in the hole. 

31 09-06-2019.jpg

The hinges I used, two would be ok, three for sure (figured timber can warp so went with a middle one on each door.)

Step 5

Final step

All done and worked pretty nicely.

One major stuff up tho. When we were doing the sliding window on the front I was busy asking my mate questions of "How to? and should i?" type things, A storm was coming in and the daylight was fading fast  so we were working as fast as we could. The "weepage/drain" holes for the sliding windows were covered up by facing timber. This meant when it rained the water hitting the window would run down the front then backwards into the garage. We fixed it by trimming that front face (trimming it to expose the holes so the water drains away) Much laughter and cursing but still enjoyed the project.

23 26-05-2019.jpg24 02-06-2019.jpg

The middle horizontal is the part that covered the weep holes. Both doors work well and there is a sloped pice to allow the water to run outside at the bottom of each door. (I have forgotten the name of it)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage retrofit Lockup stage

Hi @Dave-1 

Thanks for sharing the photos and materials you used for your garage retro fitting project. I love that giant glass window that lets all the light into your library. My favourite part is the sliding upper window that will let you get some fresh air from the outside. Will you be leaving it clear, or will you be putting in some frosted glass film to prevent people from seeing your outside?

Again, thank you for sharing your such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@EricL 

Thank you Eric, you are right about the sliding window but in reality I have not opened it too often! I cant take credit for the large window or the sliding window as my mate teh carpenter suggested it lol, tho I thionk it was just excess stock he had to use. It has definently worked tho) :surprised: The garage is remarkably cool in summer and warm in winter. I generally leave the door open and get a nice breeze coming in. With that large window I thought id better do something :smile: I have actually used interlinked cd's hanging of timber strips. I will see if I can post that project later today. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1 

It's good to hear that the temperature in your garage is nice and even. Using interlinked CD's is a great idea and is a good deterrent against birds flying into the glass window.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@EricL 

I have posted up a project called "Garage retrofit Privacy" that shows how I used CD/DVD's for the covering of the large window. Its not the final solution but is something I do want to incorporate into it.

09 27-11-2022.jpg

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: Garage converted into library room

You've done it again @Dave-1 !  That's a masterpiece!  And no doubt your carpenter mate has now got a good stock of slabs to last the rest of the year! 🍻 👏 

I'm wondering if you live in an inner-city 'burb or in a more open area?  Is the window under threat of getting smashed by flying storm debris?    Have you considered of installing a row of giant pots with plants that will make a nice screen from the road? Just a thought ...

And please will you put up some photos of the interior once your library is set up?  I'll probably turn green with envy!  

Cheers 🤗

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Ah-ha!  I didn't see this post before.  Love your bird deterrent!   👏👏

Cheers 🤗

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @Tyro 

Garage converted to Libary room Is the photos of the Libary being fitted out. I had a lot of fun and lots of working out how to do things. I Havnt posted the actual lining of the walls yet. I may get a chance today. The Window hasnt been hit (touchwood) yet and is solid as a rock. I wasnt sure I would like it but it really works. The CD's may get updated so I can actually lift them like say a venitian blaind but thats a project yet to be figured out. 

And Thank you :smile:

(My carpenter mate keeps stirring how he is the "best" tho we debate as some of teh weep holes were blocked at first! lol)

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

The window does look great @Dave-1 as does the rest of the re-fit!  

Have you seen the results of other garage  re-fits?  Most seem to involve the temporary storage of alcohol ... !  But they all look outstanding, so maybe there are some additional ideas for you within their posts?

Good luck clever-clogs!

Cheers 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects