Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to access engineering plans for Mimosa gazebos?

Helder
Finding My Feet

How to access engineering plans for Mimosa gazebos?

How do I access engineering drawings for Mimosa 4.27 x 3.69 x 3.23m Wooden Gazebo?

I want to apply for a permit with the local council to build the above gazebo on my backyard but they're asking for engineering drawings otherwise no permit. I showed them the installation instructions with dimension drawings but no luck.

How do other customers normally go with permits for this large gazebo?Pic1.jpg

Minty
Cultivating a Following

Backyard Discovery Cordova Gazebo Kit - 4.3 x 3.1 x 3.0m - Engineers Report Available?

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if there is an Engineers Report available for this Gazebo, or whatever the structural compliance report is that is required when submitting an application to local council for a building permit. 

I am wanting to buy this gazebo but feel as though I should wait until I get formal approval from my local council first.

I've had a good look on the Bunnings product page for this product and although there is quite a bit of information about the gazebo, it doesn't look formal enough to me in order to accompany a formal application. 

Thank you for any help you can give me. 

Minty

Bomber25
Cultivating a Following

Re: Backyard Discovery Cordova Gazebo Kit - 4.3 x 3.1 x 3.0m - Engineers Report Available?

Seems this is unavailable based on an older thread with recent commentary:

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Garage-and-Shed/Engineering-plans-Mimosa-gazebos/td-p/69294/...

Skip to the last page!

Minty
Cultivating a Following

Re: Backyard Discovery Cordova Gazebo Kit - 4.3 x 3.1 x 3.0m - Engineers Report Available?

Ah okay then, I will have a look at that link, thanks so much!

Minty
Cultivating a Following

I just emailed Backyard Discovery directly in Canada and asked them if they could provide me with the structural engineers plans/report for this gazebo. 

This is their response: 

Backyard Discovery does not provide any stamped engineering drawings because the final project would be dependent on local requirements which can change significantly depending on the municipality and extenuating circumstances (i.e. soil, surface pad, etc.).

Please do note that our gazebo and pergola products undergo strenuous testing and are certified to meet certain loads for both wind (100 mph) and snow. Please visit our webpage to get further details on any specific product.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Minty 

If your local council requires engineering drawings for the installation of the gazebo, I can recommend the Mimosa 4.27 x 3.67 x 3.23m Burleigh Wooden Gazebo. Mimosa has provided engineer drawings, and I've emailed a copy of them to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Minty
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell

Thank you so much for replying and letting me know about the Mimosa plans, I really appreciate it. 

I have looked at the Mimosa's but weren't sure about the quality of the wood as its my understanding that its laminated wood, as opposed to the Backyard Discovery gazebos which are 100% cedar (granted its still a softwood and so not as good as Australian hardwood but need to consider costs). 

I haven't asked my local council yet only checked their website and it appears that I will need a building permit for a pergola/gazebo based on the following information:

No building permit required if:

Construction, erection, assembly or placement of a free standing Class 10a building that -

1. Has a floor area not exceeding 10m2
  2. Is no more than 2.4m in Height
  3. Is not located in wind region C or D as defined in AS 1170.2.

Construction, erection, assembly or placement of a pergola associated with a Class 1 building that - 

1. is no more than 2.4m in height; and
  2. is not located in wind region C or D as defined in AS 1170.2; and
  3. covers an area not exceeding 20m2

Thanks for your help and for sending me through the Mimosa plans, really appreciate it. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Minty,

Do you know if you're in a cyclonic or severe cyclonic location? It might be worth clarifying those regulations with the local council. At face value, it would appear that no building permit is required if you are not in wind region C or D. Unlike the Class 1 building, it doesn't appear that you need all of the points to be permit exempt, but that might just be the way I'm reading it.

Don't be too quick to exclude laminated timber. In many cases, it's stronger and less prone to splitting, twisting and warping than standard timber. I note in the reviews of the Burleigh there are no mentions of non-straight timbers.

Mitchell

Minty
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell

No, I'm not in a cyclonic or severe cyclonic location. Based on my interpretation of the mapping coordinates in accordance with AS/NZS 1170.2:2011, I am in Wind Region A as I live in Perth. 

I appreciate your input as to the building permits, its good to know these things so that I can make an informed opinion as to what to do. I will run it past my council anyway just to be sure, but given the height of the gazebo at over 3m it looks like it may need a permit. Anyway, I will find out soon!

That's interesting to hear your thoughts on the laminated wood which I appreciate, as from memory some of the reviewers left not too reassuring reviews on the Mimosa gazebos with accompanying pictures of split and warped wood at various places. So that kind of put me off.  I will have a look at the Burleigh reviews again to affirm the absence of any warping. 

Thanks again Mitchell, great advice and suggestions!

Re: How do I access engineering drawings for Mimosa 4.27 x 3.69 x 3.23m Wooden Gazebo?

Hi Mitchell, i am currently after engineers' certificate for a mimosa gazebo to provide for a building permit to council as well. Your previous comment about these certificates being available later on in the year was made last year, so I am assuming they are available now? The gazebo is a mimosa 3.2Lx3.2Wx3.0H Laminated cedar timber frame. Can you please advise how I get hold of the engineer's certificate? 

Thank you. 

Kind regards 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I access engineering drawings for Mimosa 4.27 x 3.69 x 3.23m Wooden Gazebo?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DButler. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the engineer certificates.

I've just emailed the supplier of that non-permanent gazebo to see if they have certification available. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects