Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add insulation and wall panels for shed-to-studio conversion?

ajdeans
Just Starting Out

How to add insulation and wall panels for shed-to-studio conversion?

I am planning a shed to studio conversion of our old, but well built timber-framed metal shed. Size of the shed is 6.4 x 3.4m with steel frame and concrete floor. I would like some advice on adding insulation and internal cladding, I am fine to still be able to see the support frame on the inside (as shown in the pictures), when the job is finished. But as the outside cladding is metal, I understand that condensation could be an issue. The existing swing up door will be replaced with framed bifold doors.

shed outside.jpegshed inside.jpeg

For the insulation of the roof, is there something that I can attach to the internal timber beams that will insulate, and provide an angled internal ceiling that follows the roof shape? Or am I better replacing the entire roof with something like these all-in-one insulated panels: https://www.bunnings.com.au/insulspan-50mm-colorbond-colours-corrugated-roofing-linear-metre_p114261...

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to add insulation and wall panels for shed-to-studio conversion?

Good Afternoon @ajdeans 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Definently a good place to go through and gather some ideas!

What type of interior lining are you thinking of?

Timber? (Plywood)

Timber? (Easycraft paneling)

Plaster?

Some ideas on insulation would be foamboard stuck to the rear side of the plywood paneling and then fastened to the timber of your shed,

That way it wont be touching the sides for condensation issues. 

Easycraft paneling would be a little more problomatic with the same type of insulation as its a lot more flexible. (you could go foamboard, then the plywood and then the easycraft paneling)

Plaster I would suggest to put up stud walls, mainly for incorporating the diagonal metal ties into a smooth surface.

For the ceiling, the trusses you have are not built to carry loads other then the roof itself. I think foam board potentially layed between the trusses on some new crossbeams would insulate the roof area nicely. I am not keen on sticking foamboard onto the tin surface directly tho will note several of the Bunnings community members have and its worked well :smile: (as in stayed stuck and no condensation issues)

Love the sound of the doors you will use, and please take photos of the project as you work through :smile: I think it will come up looking a pretty sweet room afterwards!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add insulation and wall panels for shed-to-studio conversion?

Hello @ajdeans 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about insulating your shed.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend thinking about building an interior roofing and wall frame to hold the batts in place. This will also give you the opportunity to install a vapour barrier which will then give you the best type of insulated wall.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you add insulation to a garage or shed?

Here are some previous discussions on insulating a shed:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric       

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects