Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a base for resin shed?

bazz235
Getting Established

How to build a base for resin shed?

I plan on installing a 2x2m resin shed and wondering what the easiest and affordable base will be. They come with a floor.

I'm thinking digging out the area, and using gravel: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ki-carma-20kg-10-20mm-drainage-gravel_p3460052?store=8176&gad_source=1&g...

And put the shed on that. Will that be sufficient?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Base for resin shed

Hi @bazz235,

It's best to refer to manufacturer guidelines when installing your shed. There are typically requirements that it's fixed down to a solid base, like a concrete slab or heavy pavers. In the event of strong winds, a resin shed will blow away if it's not fixed down. Was it one of our sheds? If so, I'd be happy to look into a suitable base for it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the reply - yep : 3318106

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Here are a couple of points from the installation guide @bazz235.

• You must provide a platform on which to assemble your shed. Proper building permit documentation may be required in your neighbourhood. Consult all local building codes prior to assembling the shed. Before beginning assembly, you must pour or construct a platform. There are two types: Concrete and Wood Frame. Select the type, but know the surface must be levelled and flat before installation. 

• If the surface is not properly levelled and flat, the shed will not assemble correctly. Proper surface levelling will save you time in the long run, so please do not ignore this step. We recommend a Concrete platform. It will be the most durable and long-lasting choice. The platform you choose must be built above ground in order to avoid water pooling inside the shed. All lumber must be rated for outdoor use.

• If you plan on anchoring your shed to a concrete platform, you must purchase the correct anchoring hardware. We recommend using a hammer drill, 5/16" (≈8 mm) masonry bit, six (6) 3/8" x 2" (≈10 mm x 5 cm) Concrete Screws and six (6) 3/8" x 1" (≈10 mm x 2,5 cm) Fender Washers.

• If you plan on anchoring your shed to a wood platform, you must purchase the correct anchoring hardware. We recommend using a drill, 5/16" (≈8 mm) drill bit, six (6) 3/8" x 1 1/2" (≈10 mm x 4 cm) Lag Screws and six (6) 3/8" x 1" (≈10 mm x 2,5 cm) Fender Washers.

More information can be found in the installation guide, including how to fix the shed down to your selected base. 

If you wish to deviate away from the guide's recommendations for your base, then using Brighton Masonry 300 x 300 x 40mm Charcoal Mypave Pavers could be the next best solution. For the 4m2, that will roughly cost $200 for the base. By using the pavers, you'll still be able to fix the shed down to six of them as per the foundation mounting points. The weight of six pavers holding it down would certainly be better than just sitting on gravel. Bear in mind that the gravel doesn't go as far as you think it would and you'd likely need at least 10 bags to cover the area at a cost of $100.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects