Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a heavy duty pegboard and hook storage?

Emma-Lee
Getting Established

How to build a heavy duty pegboard and hook storage?

I would like to store my tools on hooks in the way they are laid out in the photo. The dimensions are 1830 wide x 1220 high which fits diagonal masonite pegboard. Ideally, I would use Rack It hooks because they are heavy duty and some of these tools are heavy but the dimensions are less flexible than a pegboard I can cut to size. I don't want to use Pinnacle because I'm not a fan of the hook system. I'm worried standard hooks (Zenith etc) and masonite might not be strong enough. I am also setting this up under my desk and plan to make some sort of cover. Mid North Coast NSW. Prone to heavy rain and coastal rusting.

Any suggestions? Can I modify Rack it to give me better dimensions?

IMG_8535.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a heavy duty pegboard and hook storage?

Hello @Emma-Lee 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a heavy-duty pegboard. 

Your analysis of the pegboard is absolutely correct. Some of your tools are quite heavy and the constant hanging and pulling of the tool will damage the Masonite peg board. Have you considered using 2400 x 1200mm 12mm Plywood F8 Pine Structural CD Grade. Then using a combination of hooks and holders to hold the various garden tools in place.

Another option is to use the Rack It 1000kg Peg Board which is a choice you mentioned earlier. The drawback of course is that you'll need to use several of the panels to accommodate all of the tools and there is no room for adjustment as the panels are made of steel.

I also suggest having a look at these tool organizing projects our Workshop members have shared.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a heavy duty pegboard and hook storage?

Hi @Emma-Lee , I agree with you that pegboard and Masonite are not suitable for mounting heavy tools onto.  It may not suit your situation, but in case anyone else is looking to hang heavy garden tools;

due to their weight, I went "old school" and made a simple, strong shelf with slots to hold my garden tools. Anchored with strong bolts and heavy duty brackets, it has served us well for over 10 years so far.

Simple gardentool holder.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects