Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level stage?

SlimOliphant
Finding My Feet

How to build a low-level stage?

I need to build a low stage or rostrum but am not handy or experienced with building. I've been advised to use pallets topped with structafloor, I've had a look at Yellow Tongue and it seems fit for purpose. I'll want to paint it.

Would greatly appreciate advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a low-level stage?

Hello @SlimOliphant, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a low-level stage. 

Can you please tell us how big the stage will be and if it is going to be used outside or inside the house. Will you an adult be standing on it? Any other information you can share about what it will be used for will be very much appreciated. Once we have the approximate measurements, we'll be able to make recommendations on how to proceed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric.

The stage is for standup comedy. It needs to be assembled in a morning and disassembled next evening.  For a temporary event but being able to reuse it would be good..

I'd like to make it about 2x3 metres. It will have 1 or 2 adults standing on it and a microphone.  Single pallet high plus the floor is fine.  It will be for indoors this time and this time is the priority, but if we could use it outside in the future that would be handy although not critical.

Want to paint it. Ideally get it done next week. 

Thanks, Jeremy.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @SlimOliphant 

Nice idea. I would suggest to go for the more solid pallets then the lighter ones. The yellowtounge flooring sounds like a go as well 3600 x 800mm 19mm flooring h2 particleboard yellow tongue .

How about using small G clamps (or low rise clamps along the edge) to secure the flooring to the pallets, that way it can be dismantled easily?

pallets are around 1170mm long so you would need 6? The decent ones are heavy (The lighter ones are easier to come by tho) 

Definently sounds doable.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SlimOliphant 

That is spot on advice from @Dave-1. The pallets come close to the 1200 x 1200 size. For safe handling I suggest using only pallets that have the "HT" tag on them. This means they are heat treated and not chemically treated. Don't get anything with an "MB" tag on it. It has been treated with methyl bromide which is not safe. 

Another option to the yellow tongue flooring is Ecoply 2400 x 1200 x 17mm F14 Formrite Formply. Comes in a black finish so there is no need to paint it. One other option is SpecRite 2400 x 1200mm 17mm Plywood Pine Film Faced Non Structural.

To fix the board to the pallet, I suggest using Zenith 8G x 40mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 100 Pack. As for the paint, I recommend using exterior paint from either Dulux Weathersheild or Taubmans Sunproof. Make sure to leave your pallets outside to cure once they are painted.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects