Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a strong wooden shed floor?

vigilantrobert
Finding My Feet

How to build a strong wooden shed floor?

I'm building a shed to store a motorcycle in while I rebuild it. It's a 1974 Honda CB 750 Four and weights about 220 kg.

What type of timber would be the most suitable for strength and a rather limited budget.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a strong wooden shed floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vigilantrobert. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a floor.

Provided your floor joists were spaced as per construction code and product requirements, then yellow tongue particle board flooring would be suitable. 220kg distributed over two square metres would be within the capabilities of standard flooring and construction methods. From reading the technical specifications of the flooring, it appears that even if the 220kg was distributed in only one location, it would still be capable of holding that load. You could over-engineer and go for 22mm particleboard or even 25mm particleboard

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a strong wooden shed floor?

Hi again, @vigilantrobert.

I just wanted to add that it would be worth considering a concrete slab for your project. Not only would it provide the support you need, but by the time you purchase all the timber joists and structural flooring, it could be a similar cost.

Here's a helpful guide: How to pour a concrete slab.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects