Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a timber gable roof shed?

McLeodC2D
Finding My Feet

How to build a timber gable roof shed?

Do any plans exist for a Gable Shed I can check out in metric. I want to build a 3800( gable wall width) x 2400 shed and looking for a starting point. (My shed would be wider but narrower to this) 

.featured-gable-shed.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a timber gable roof shed?

Hello @McLeodC2D 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a timber gable roof shed.

I'm sorry but Bunnings currently does not have any timber gable shed plans available. 

However, I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to build a wooden shed? by @mikebarker. It's an ongoing discussion and you might be able to use some of the information mentioned as a starting point for your shed plans.

Due to the proposed size of your shed, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations in regards to maximum shed size and height. I also suggest thinking about engaging the services of a local draftsperson to design the framing for your shed. In this manner should your shed require a plan the design will be up to code and in line with council regulations.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to build a wooden shed?

What determines 600 or 450 centres if the stud wall is say 2100 high for a gable roof? What would be the most typical - 90 x 35 ?? or is it better the be thicker? Gable will cover 3800 wall to wall

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @McLeodC2D 

Welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: Its an interesting place to ask these type of questions. I am sure you will get a few different reasonings and ways of doing the job.

For me the standard spacing is something I stick with (I have presumed its 450mm) this way I dont need to remember down the track if I need to find them again. The size I have used was 90mm by 45mm. Mostly because its the standard and matches the size of what I can find at Bunnings, also factoring in that it feels more solid. I dont wantto go to the effort of building a wall only to have it reverberate down the track.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @McLeodC2D,

Thank you for your question. I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's brilliant to have you with us.

450mm is the standard stud spacing in Australia regardless of the size of the studs. 600mm spacings are sometimes used in non-load-bearing walls where structural support is not needed, and cost effectiveness is the primary concern. In an exterior wall, as a gable supporting wall will be, 450mm stud spacings would always be used.

If you are designing a shed with a 3.8m gable wall, it is likely you would be approaching the size where structural engineering plans will need to be submitted to council for approval. It is definitely worth consulting with your local council to see your licencing requirements prior to planning the build.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob,

Couple question and a commentary - Typically how many rafters would you go with for a 2400 length into the ridge beam. For the 3800 x 2400 shed what size rafter timber would you recommend and same question for ridge beam. Whatever is done will be over-engineered but thats ok

Engineered plans is surely an overkill for a garden shed. What is wrong with simple span tables - each rafter is only going to be 1.9m++ so not too extreme. Appreciate the 450 clarification though which means ~ 5 supports per side and ~8 at rear. Typically how many rafters would you go with for a 2400 length into the ridge beam.

Council regulations are pretty simple - "It is outlined in the Queensland Building Regulation 2006, that you do not need building approval if your shed is: no more than 10 square metres in the area after building work is completed. no more than 2.4 metres high (with an 'average mean height' of no more than 2.1 metres) no longer than 5 metres along any side"

Who would have thought a shed would be some complex before even getting to the cost of it all. 

@McLeodC2D Welcome to the forum! It looks like we're on similar shed-building journeys 😀. I've found this forum unbelievably helpful. I completely agree with you, the complexity certainly was an eye-opener to me... and the cost of everything has been a shock.

mikebarker
Having an Impact

Re: How to build a timber gable roof shed?

@McLeodC2D Morning! Have you had any luck finding any metric plans online? I had some luck trying to find ones for a 3m x 2.4m (8x10 foot which is a common size) but 90% of them are imperial measurements.

https://www.icreatables.com/metric-sheds/metric-garden-shed-plans

I found them really helpful as a starting point and actually used on on here as the basis of designing my own in some 3d software called SketchUp (Which was a challenge in itself as I had to learn how to use it, but it really helped me understand how a building is made).

So is 3800x2400mm 10 square meters on the nose? I have identical restrictions in Victoria but I was able to go to 3m high. I just ended up with a smaller foot print as I had flattened a small area and in the end didn't have enough for the full 10 square meters.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @McLeodC2D,

For the rafters, considering a 2400mm length into the ridge beam, you might typically go for about one rafter per 600mm of span, depending on you sheeting requirements, so around 6 rafters for a 3800mm width. As for the size of the timber, it's wise to over-engineer it for durability. Something like 190 x 45mm for the rafters and 240 x 45mm for the ridge beam should provide sufficient strength.

I hear you on the complexity of engineered plans versus span tables. While engineered plans might seem like overkill for a garden shed, they ensure safety and compliance with regulations and take into account the whole build and not just specifications for singular elements. Span tables don't assist with your local requirements, such as whether you're in a cyclonic zone.  However, for smaller structures like sheds, span tables can be a helpful guide, especially if you're confident in your design and construction abilities.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects