Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wooden frame shed over an easement?

Chris1982
Just Starting Out

How to build a wooden frame shed over an easement?

Hello, I'm looking at building diy wood frame shed, with bgc 9mm outdoor fibre sheeting, painted in texture full cover exterior paint. Roof sheeting and gutter drains.

However! I'm not allowed to lay concrete over the easement so I'm looking for the best alternative.

Im thinking about 100mm thick layer of crushed rock covered with pavers. I will only be using the shed for storage and won't be going in there so it doesn't need to look pretty.

Is this a good idea??

Also... The shed is going into the corner of the yard hard up against both fences. I won't be able to nail the cement sheeting on from the outside which is throwing me off... How can I secure it to my posts another way?

Thank you

Chris

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wood frame shed - over an easement

Hello @Chris1982 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your wood frame shed.

I suggest designing the back of your shed frame that is going against the fence as individual frames that can stand up by itself. In this manner you'll be able to assemble the frame and put the fibre sheeting in place and have the second frame wall butt up right against it. Think of it as a puzzle with premade pieces for ease of assembly.

It's even possible to assemble the back frame of the shed, clad it properly, paint and finish it before pushing it to the corner of of your fence. You'll need an extra pair of hands for the push and lift, but it won't be so heavy that you can't move it.

In regards to the crushed rock and pavers, this would be an ideal base. I propose creating a frame made of sleepers so that the rocks and pavers are locked into place preventing movement even in heavy rain.

Please keep in mind that pushing the shed right up to the fence means that weeds or debris that gets trapped at the back of the shed will become difficult to remove. Perhaps it would be possible to leave a space of 600mm so that you can at least walk around the back of the shed in case you need to do repairs.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects