Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build garage storage shelves?

Scott11
Just Starting Out

How to build garage storage shelves?

Hello,

I would like to create this garage storage shelving as displayed here:

https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/diy-garage-shelves-freestanding

My dimensions for the shelving unit space are:

270 cm Length

210 cm Height

50 cm Depth

The storage shelving unit is to be used for 50L plastic storage containers and other household items to be placed onto.

(Previously when in cardboard archive boxes the folders, filing and books were getting slightly wet due to the door being close by as well as insects and rodents making their way onto it so placed them into plastic containers instead).

By having them on the individual shelves would make the plastic containers more accessible, provide more space and easier to organise them too when needed.

Could you please let me know the timber size/types and screw types that you would recommend for my storage capacity that I would require for this project?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Scott

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build garage storage shelves?

Hello @Scott11 

The timber used on that plan you mentioned was 2x4" and the closest equivalent here is 90mm x 45mm. Depending on the plastic container you'll be using; You can base your measurements off that container. For example, the All Set 50L Clear Modular Storage Container is 385 (w) x 328 (h) x 570 (d).

If the total width of the area is 270cm and we divide that by the width of the container 38.5cm (round off to 40) you would be able to put in 6 containers in one level. In regards to the number of levels, I would conservatively say 5. I recommend using Zenith 10G x 100mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws for the legs and frame. To fix the shelves onto the frame I suggest 10G x 75mm Chipboard screws or equivalent.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects