Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose timber for garden shed?

Makita
Growing in Experience

How to choose timber for garden shed?

I want to build a garden shed with the size of 2.4M x 1.8M.  I have done some research and am still not sure if I have chosen the correct type of timbers for my project.

Bearer :             Pine Structural MGP12 Blue H2

Common Stud : L/M Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine

Stump :              F7 H4 KD Treated Pin Premium Post

I am not sure the types of timber for rafter and fascia?

Thank you

Jerry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of timber should be used for garden shed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Jerry (@Makita). It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about timber selection.

Your bearer choice is the odd one out there, being the only timber not suitable for exterior use. I'd suggest going with H3 timber if it will be exposed to the elements.

Your rafter choice will depend on what type of roof structure you're creating. Do you have any plans that you could share with our helpful members? Once they know how you intend to build the roof, I trust they'll have suggestions for your roof timbers.

Typically you'd use bullnose fascia on a house, but for a shed, you might like to cut it down to a smaller size. Were you planning on adding a gutter to the shed?

I'm keen to more about your project and provide further assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Makita
Growing in Experience

I want to build a shed like this. What kind of timbers should I get from Bunnings? Is it possible to use timber rather than steel for roof? It is because I don't have the tool to cut steel. Thanks.

The StructureThe StructureExternalExternal

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for those images, @Makita.

You need to select a timber suitable to span the distance, and that can support your roofing material (roof load). You can see in the span table I've included below from one of our timber suppliers Hyne, that 140 x 35mm timber at 900mm centres will be suitable for your project. If your roof is sealed to the elements, you can use 140 x 45mm Framing MGP10 H2 Blue Pine L/M, or if it is exposed, 140 x 45mm L/M Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine - Linear Metre.

Please let me know fi you have further questions.

Mitchell

Makita
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your reply.

I am progressing well with my project. I am looking for ply wood sheet for my garden shed's floor. Plywood (2440x1220x3mm) is expensive. Is there any other alternative ?

Thank you,

Jerry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Makita ( Jerry )

Strong flooring for your shed is one of the most important things you can install. Please keep in mind that not only does it have to support your weight, but the weight of the items you'll be putting inside the shed. If your flooring is too thin, it will either bow, bend or break. You also have to remember that it has to withstand the weather which includes heavy moisture from the rain and the intense heat of the sun.

I suggest having a look at 2440 x 1220mm 12mm Plywood Hardwood Marine AA Grade. I understand you are looking for affordability and I am recommending longevity. But imagine if your flooring were to fail and the items in your shed were to get damaged. Opting for a material that will last is always a good investment.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects