Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position?

mikebarker
Having an Impact

How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position?

Hello! I have had some 50mm diameter round steel posts (Standard posts, I assume 3-5mm thick) concreted into the ground as netting posts around a new basketball court. They first need cutting to size before I install the netting hardware (Why the person didn't cut them to size before concreting them in I'm not sure). They are very tall and I will need to be close to the top of a high ladder to cut them i.e. it's a bit tricky and I may have to be working overhead in one or two cases.

My question is: what is the best way to cut them to size given the awkward nature of the site? I have an oscillating multi-tool which, given the various angles you can hold it at, I assume would be ideal but would that be okay for the job? I've only used it for wood so far. Happy to buy a larger/more appropriate blade for the job. I first assumed I'd need to buy an angle grinder, and still can if needs be but if the multi-tool will work that would be excellent to save money.

Many thanks!

Mike

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position

Hi @mikebarker 

Although it's possible to cut the steel post with the multi tool, I'm afraid it will take a long time before it cuts through. Plus. you might end up using several cutting blades in the process. A grinder with a steel cutting disk on the other hand will allow you to cut through the posts quickly. You'll also be able to grind away any sharp edge of the post.  

Since you'll be working with a ladder, I suggest having a look at this guide - How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using the grinder. Please make sure to keep yourself and others safe while you are cutting steel. Put up a barrier to prevent people from walking in the work area. Tie a rope on the piece that will be cut off and secure it so that it doesn't fall down on anyone. Take all necessary safety precautions when working on this project.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @MartiPedia for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position

Thanks @EricL , and hi @mikebarker !

Eric is correct, if the sidewall thickness is truly 5mm, a multi tool would take an extraordinary long time to get the job done. Your arms may fall off before the first pole does.

For cutting tools, a 18V angle grinder with a nice thin cutting blade will be your best bet. 18V for the remote location, thin blade for the quick cutting.

It's possible to simply mark the line and make your way around the pole if its just one or two of them. As a bit of a DIY nut, I'd be sorely tempted to fit a 50mm collet on the pole where it needs to be cut, then use the threaded hole of the moveable handle on the grinder's head to bolt it to a rudimentary jig that can be rotated around the pole at a fixed level without needing to be held up to make the repeated cuts, but I say this with no knowledge of whether there are enough cuts to make to warrant such an endeavor.

Were it on the ground, I would have considered one of those magical Diablo Ferrous Metal blades in a 18V circ saw but I'm sure that opinion wouldn't be a popular one when working on ladders. Easy way to lose some appendages.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to cut round metal tube pole in awkward position?

Good morning @mikebarker 

Id leave the mutitool at home :smile: I have a cheap ozito angle grinder (Cost me under $50 when I bought it a decade and a bit ago for the same sized pipe you are talking about) Just had a look and a similar if not a little larger one is still under $50! ozito 125mm 5 angle grinder kit I have considered a battery powered one but in reality every time I have needed it I have had powered tools around. A tin of thin cutting blades would also be good to buy.

As to how far up a ladder you should be.... :surprised: Take it from someone who has stood on the second rung down and fallen off, The recomendation is two rungs down from teh top most step (ish) Using a grinder, having the metal bit you are cutting and being at height always is a dicy issue. Take care and think the steps through 3 times :smile: It actually works.

Dave

Thanks so much for all the wisdom you lot! This has made the cutting solution very clear. Re: size of grinder, does it matter much or just bigger (Up to 125mm) better?

I will take every precaution with this task, I feel I understand the risks involved. I'm going to ensure the ladder is secure and I'll have someone holding it. Anything to avoid me having to grab and slide down the pole like a spicy dancer would be ideal 😆

@MartiPedia I have 6 to cut. 3 are fine, 3 are very high and of concern so I'd be keen for you to expand on your jig idea if you don't mind. Anything that can make the job easier/safer, I'm all ears.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mikebarker 

That cutting disc size of 125mm should work just fine. Just make sure that it is compatible with your grinding tool. Let me tag @MartiPedia to make sure they see your question.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

I am happy to report that most have been cut using a 125mm angle grinder, and it went through it like butter, there is just one left to do. I was SO tricky in some places. On 2 of the highest ones, 2m of pipe needed cutting off, so trying to hold onto it while cutting it away wasn't fun. I finished the last bit with a hacksaw so I could at least try and control the waste end.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@mikebarker 

"Cheering" :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mikebarker 

Thank you so much for the update, it's good to know that you've managed to cut the poles safely, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the cut pole? I also suggest putting a Holman 50mm Press PVC Cap End to prevent rainwater from gathering inside the pole.

We look forward to seeing your next update.

Eric

Thanks Eric, I already had some metal caps so I'm putting them on as I do them 🙂

On that note: the poles were open for a couple of months, with plenty of rainfall. How concerned should I be with drilling drainage holes at the bottom? I won't be able to reach to the very bottom of all of them.

Also, I accidentally drilled a hole in the wrong direction for the eye bolts I am putting in there to run the netting wire through. How can I plug those holes so they don't rust etc? And do I need to do anything to stop rust in the holes I'm drilling for the eye bolts, the bolts are stainless so I assume I don't need to worry about them?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects