Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to drill anker screws into concrete?

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

How to drill anker screws into concrete?

hello I have a ryobi hammer drill and some anker screws with concrete fixings I'm planning on using to secure garden shed to concrete slab. Is it hard to do this .... I'm a 38year female that is trying to do as much diy jobs I cam around my new home but I'm also passing jobs over that may not be suitable for me.... wondering how hard it is to drill in concrete, what is it going to take.... steps for me to get this job done if it is appropriate for me. I then plan in sealing with some silicone some sort so no water gets in and also wash away the green water stain moulds (prior the silicone), not sure what will wash that off? Thanks

1000010175.jpg

😅

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to drill anker screws into concrete?

Hi @Bell_1986,

You could potentially use a cordless hammer drill to drill multiple holes in concrete, but a corded drill such as the Ryobi 800W 13mm Corded Hammer Drill would be much more proficient. Typically, the cordless versions are great for drilling a few smaller holes in brick or concrete, but multiple larger holes for Ankascrews would be a job best left to the corded drills. You could certainly attempt the job if you wish. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to drill into brick. Although the guide is about bricks, it's a similar process for all masonry surfaces.

If these green water stains moulds are on the concrete, I'd suggest an application of 30 Seconds 2L Outdoor Cleaner with Rapid Hose End Technology and blasting the build-up off with a high-pressure washer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell 

So many lil project jobs to do ... I'm knocking them down one by one 😅 sometimes gathering supplies prepared early.

Would you recommend this on new build brick and mortar austral sea salt... haven't washed this once...the mould looks terrible...

1000010384.jpg

1000010381.jpg

1000010388.jpg

1000010385.jpg

1000010386.jpg

1000010387.jpg

    

Sorry, @Bell_1986, what was your question? Were you looking for a product to help you clean these areas? 

The mainstay of cleaning many of these hard surfaces is a high-pressure washer. Even the budget-friendly Ozito 1800W 2030PSI High Pressure Washer will do a great job. The blast away most of this grime, especially the moss and lichen buildup on the surface. For staining that the pressure washer struggles to remove, consider outdoor cleaners such as 30 Seconds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell yes am going to invest in a pressure washer 🙂 is it safe to use on brick and mortar? I've heard can be unsafe as blow out mortar or something.... the 30 seconds stuff is it safe to use on the Exposed aggregate driveway areas as can see in pic as I've heard to be careful as may strip coatings etc ?.. I know it shall be fine out back patio and shed as it's just plain concrete.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"some anker screws with concrete fixings"

I'm late to the thread @Bell_1986, but if you're gonna do a lot of concrete drilling, may I suggest a rotary hammer drill - far superior to the percussion style. Cheers!

Hi @Bell_1986,

Pressure washers are fine to use on new bricks and mortar. It's really only old compromised mortar that you might want to not blast at close range.

If your exposed aggregate is sealed with a coating, then the staining is likely on the surface, and the pressure washer should remove it. You'd really only use the 30 seconds on unsealed surfaces that stains have penetrated.

Mitchell

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

Stuck on which one to invest in.... I will be using to wash my small suv vehicle, around small home - brick house, patio concrete, driveway, areas around house  ..... 

1000010459.jpg

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

The karcher & gerni have a 5 year warranty 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bell_1986 

I have a Ryobi 1800W 2030PSI Pressure Washer. It comes with a multitude of accessories which I think you'll find useful. My favourite ones are the deck and patio rotary cleaner which does an amazing job. There is also the soap dispenser gun which makes it so easy to soap and wash your car.

My best advice is to keep a digital copy of your docket and make sure to register your tool on the Ryobi website so that you are covered for your warranty.

In regards to drilling the AnkaScrews, I suggest practicing on a single piece of loose brick first before you commit to drilling into your slab.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects