Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between shed wall and slab?

PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

How to fill gap between shed wall and slab?

Hi Gurus, 

any recommendations for filling / sealing these gaps between our shed steel walls and concrete slab ?  the gaps are pretty decent size so not really keen on anything which needs a caulking gun as would probably need about 80 tubes 

Image.jfif

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: shed wall / slab sealing

Hello @PscottDIY 

Does water enter or come out of this gap when it rains? If not, have you considered using Bastion 20kg Premix Mortar or similar to fill the gap? I can understand your hesitancy in using caulking specially if your shed is quite big.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the shed wall inside but a bit further so we can see more of the wall? Can you also please take a photo of the outside of the shed. This will give our members a chance to observe how it sits on the slab. We can then make recommendations on possible ways to fill the gap. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

hi Eric , no issues with water , more just dirt and bugs. see pics   

IMG_4962.jpeg

IMG_4961.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PscottDIY 

Thanks for sharing those extra photos of your shed. Now that I've seen a wider picture of the base of the shed, I still recommend filling the gap with mortar. In order to produce a neat finish, I suggest building formwork around 30mm high and 30mm deep. I'll leave the size up to if you feel that it needs to be bigger.

This will allow you to put the mortar in and keep a neat appearance. To soften the edge of the mortar once the formwork has been removed, I suggest using a Trojan Concrete Rubbing Stone.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fill gap between shed wall and slab?

Good Morning @PscottDIY 

First up a question :smile: When you say "sealing" do you mean you want to stop water entering the shed floor? or to stop bugs/leaves ect from hanging out?

If its sealing then I would take the path @EricL has suggested as  def cheaper then tubes of silastic or something similar.

If its cosmetic, maybe a skirting board around the edge. Or even a combination of the two, mortar to seal and then the skirt so you dont have to smooth the mortar so much?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects