Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a saw-table?

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

How to make a saw-table?

Hi everyone, when I need to cut long pieces of wood or boards, I find my circular saw awkward to keep straight, especially when I have to start leaning across the workpiece to get to the far side. I don't have a proper workbench, just an old Black & Decker workmate stand that I can clamp the pieces to. Now, If I could find  way to mount my circular saw under the workbench, so I could feed the work through it, I think that might be a solution. Yes, I could go and buy a table saw, but storage space is at a premium and I'm not sure I would use it enough to justify the cost. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Re: How to make a saw-table?

OK - thanks @MitchellMc 

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Hi Mike, thanks for that. If there is one comment about the Makita unit that keeps cropping up, it's about the lack of rigidity of the fence, which can allow heavier workpieces to wander off-line a bit. I found an excellent article on-line about how to make a much sturdier fence using extruded aluminium T-Slot. The video(s) are exceptionally well presented and the author includes a full set of the parts used, as well as dimensions. Anyone looking to build their own fence should have a look:  

Makita table saw upgrade

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqINniJWlSk

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktIKu5xEP1k&t=0s

"An upgraded fence is very much essential as the original fence is wobbly and shorter in length which compromises the accuracy of cuts."

I haven't seen the extruded aluminium sections in Bunnings, but maybe @MitchellMc could confirm availability? Anyway, there should be a local supplier in most major cities.

John.

Hi @VulcanJohn,

I've looked at our supplier's extended ranges and those T-slot extrusions are not available. I know they are used extensively to construct larger CNC and 3D printers. Perhaps @Walter or @Seaton might know where you could obtain them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jamesab92
Finding My Feet

Hey VulcanJohn, Not sure if this has been suggested but I found the Kreg Accu-Cut (0361054) the perfect solution to the same problem i was having with space. The best thing with the Accu-Cut is that you shoulc be able to use your old circular saw with it.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jamesab92. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

The Kreg Accu-Cut™ Circular Saw Guide Track certainly looks like a nice unit. I love how it comes with a universal saw sled, so you're not locked into purchasing a proprietary saw to suit.

What sort of projects have you used it to build? We'd be keen to hear all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Bastion foam 

There you go @MikeTNZ 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise, @MikeTNZ. I missed your question about the foam. It looks like @Brad has sorted you out, though.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

T-slot I get from Carbatec or via ebay if it is the CNC building type

@VulcanJohn ,

yeah, I've bought a couple on eBay, from places like CNC Shop. 

You have to be sure you order the right profile, but they are relatively inexpensive

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Walter . The CNC shop looks to be the answer to the supplies query. Anyone else interested can have a look at this link which is for their 40 x 40 extrusions, 1m long:  https://www.cncshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_50_61&products_id=253&zenid=tud...

The headline price is $44, I haven't checked delivery costs etc, but that's not too scary.Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 18.19.53.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects