Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make custom cut shelves for existing cupboard?

tejipaa
Just Starting Out

How to make custom cut shelves for existing cupboard?

Hello,

I am a bit intimidated posting this as I am absolutely rookie to house DIY.

I just got a cupboard from marketplace that fits my garage perfectly. It will be used for storing shoes only, so not fussed about appearance.

I need to add 3 more shelves as it has the space.

Each shelf will be 86x40cms. As it's a custome size, I don't know where to get it. Is this something that Bunnings can offer? Do I need to buy a piece of wood and get it cut in-store? Does Lidcombe store have that service?

Or what are my other options to add more shelves?

Looking for some cheap options as each shelf will hold only 4-5 pairs of shoes.

Hoping I can find advice here. Thanks in advance :smile:

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to make custom cut shelves for existing cupboard?

Please don't feel intimidated @tejipaa 

You're welcome and at home here. 😁👍

Is there a chance you can upload some photos - just to get a better feel and understanding of your project?

Cheers!

Graeme.

tejipaa
Just Starting Out

Thanks Grame,

I just need to add the 3 x shelves (marked in blue)

431847881_7707980162598202_5837663496930600960_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tejipaa 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about cutting some shelves for your cabinet.

There is absolutely no need to be intimidated, were here to help everyone that needs advice or information about D.I.Y. 

I propose going to the store and looking at the sizes of the MDF and Plywood panels. Since you have your shelf measurements, you'll be able to estimate how many shelves you can make out of a single sheet of timber. I suggest not getting anything less than 12mm in thickness, because if the timber is too thin it will slowly start to bow inside your cabinet.

The shop saws are capable of cutting down the large sheets to manageable sizes for transportation. Unfortunately, they are not made for precision cutting. I recommend cutting it at home with either a hand saw or a circular saw. I suggest using the Taskmaster 6mm Pin Nickel Plated Metal Shelf Supports as a way to hold the shelf in place.

The advantage of cutting it a home is that you can measure to a high degree of accuracy where you need to cut the timber panel. You'll be confident that the timber will neither be too big or too small. Having second thoughts about cutting it straight? I suggest doing several practice cuts with a hand saw and some off cut timber panels. Doing the practice cuts will give you a very good idea of how a hand saw works.  

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look to seeing the show shelf in space.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects