Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to reduce height of carport roof support beams?

FrantzJosef
Just Starting Out

How to reduce height of carport roof support beams?

I plan on building a gable roof carport directly in front of existing double garage. so the gable lines of carport will match the lines of existing roof. The problem is that if I use pine h3 (190 x 45) side support beams for trusses  I will be only about 2100 or less height at the sides under the beams. Is there a way of doubling up on beams on each side like with 2  of   120 x 45 beams to give me 2200 clearance under beams .. By the way there will be 3 posts each side (placed to avoid car doors) with about 1800 between them. The dimensions for the carport are 4800 long and 5200 wide.  With thanks in anticipation. 

20230831_115407.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to reduce height of carport roof support beams?

Hello @FrantzJosef 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about matching the gable lines of your existing roof for your new carport.

Before you begin buying any materials for your project, I suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council regarding building a carport on your property. I also recommend engaging the services of a draftsperson in your area so that the plans made will be drawn up to code. 

I'm confident that the draftsperson will be able to match the gable lines of your existing carport while using regular timber. In regards to the construction of the carport itself, it might be possible for you to build it yourself. It all depends on the rules and regulations of the local authorities in your area.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects