Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair garage ceiling dropping down?

etangle
Just Starting Out

How to repair garage ceiling dropping down?

Hi Bunnings community,

My garage gyprock ceiling is just coming off, I tried to start repair but seems quite hard job. Wanted to ask if anyone has done that, whats the best way to do it...

1. Do I need to extract insulation material, as it quite dusty

2. Do I just add new paste to join the sheets to ceiling rafters or battens

3. Do I need to put any nails in or just paste is enough, and support it.

attaching some pictures 

Thanks

ShahidIMG_20230408_063854.jpgIMG_20230408_063830.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage ceiling dropping down

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @etangle. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a plaster ceiling.

To clarify, is your intention to remove the sheeting and replace it with new, or are you looking to reattach it where it has drooped?

Typically you'd use stud adhesive and screws to attach the ceiling. But unless you can access the ceiling to apply the adhesive to the underside of the ceiling joist, the sheets would need to come off for that.

Have you tried placing additional screws through the plaster and into the ceiling joist? If so, did they hold the sheet or fail as well? If it's old sheeting, then it might be best to remove it and replace it with new. If you are going to do that, it might be best to remove the insulation from the roof cavity first to prevent it from coming down on you when removing the sheets.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for quick reply @MitchellMc , I want to just repair the exiting one, and the screws I have put are holding it well. In order to apply stud adhesive to studs, I may need to extract insulation, apply the adhesive, and press the sheets back again for few hours... 

Let me know if I am right, or any tips to extract the insulation, which is another job..

Shahid

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you are unable to apply the stud adhesive, I'd suggest just putting in several more screws @etangle. Say one screw every 30cm along the ceiling joist should be sufficient and allow you to avoid using the stud adhesive. However, if you can get into the ceiling cavity, what you have suggested sounds about right.

Regarding the insulation, if it is batts, then they would be easy to remove and place aside in the roof cavity. If it's loose-fill insulation, I'd suggest grabbing a few bags so you can fill them and move them aside while you work. Remember your PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses, disposable overalls and gloves.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects