Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal plywood garage walls?

Deftone2k
Finding My Feet

How to seal plywood garage walls?

Hey Team!

I am getting to the pointy end of my garage project where I have lineed the walls with 15mm ply and insulated to make my garage more weather sealed/a better space to be. 

I was thinking that I would be painting the plywood but I actually really like the raw timber finish and am thinking of simply sealing the plywood rather than painting.

I read a bunch about different options such as a diluted bondcrete mix to clear the plywood and other polyurethane varnish type products I could use.

I was hoping to see if there are any products I have potentially missed in my research or perhaps something someone else in the community has done. I am not looking for a perfect finish, more just something that gives them a bit of extra durability in the garage.

I have attached a photo of the project thus far. Still yet to finish the walls and foilboard but will be putting up an architrave where the foilboard meets the walls and sealing the plywood to the floor.

Thanks so much.WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 17.28.46_e3aa8cb7.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Options for Sealing my Plywood Garage Walls

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Deftone2k. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing plywood.

Your garage looks fantastic, well done.

There are likely a number of products you could use, but I'd stick with traditional coatings rather than use Bondcrete. It will seal the timber, but it's not specifically designed as a topcoat. 

I'd recommend a polyurethane varnish like Cabots Cabothane, which is a highly durable and hard-wearing coating. Not only will it provide protection, but it will seal the surface and prevent stains and marks. 

Plywood has a fairly durable surface on its own, so the other option, if you don't want a hard coating, is to use boiled linseed oil.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchell,

Thanks mate for the reply. Indeed I am not too worried about even leaving the timber so much raw, just help preserve it from regular use of the garage. Sealing was the main aim, I was a bit wary of polyurethane varnish yellowing over time (and especially with UV exposure) as the garage does get quite a bit of direct sun.

I hadn't considered the boiled linseed oil tho, that looks interesting.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply :smile:

Cheers,

Jack

Yellowing polyurethanes is really an issue of the past with oil-based versions @Deftone2k. They used to yellow/orange very heavily, but this issue is fairly non-existent with current technology and water-based alternatives. You might find it goes a slightly more light honey colour over the years, but definitely not yellow. The water-based version would be best for keeping that raw look fairly intact.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Mitchell,

Thanks very much for your clarification... ill check this out and drying times etc as well!

Appreciate you taking the time.

Jack

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects