Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal this garage shed from dust, water and insects?

nfaisal
Just Starting Out

How to seal this garage shed from dust, water and insects?

Team, here are a few photos of a newly installed Garage Shed. I need some advice on how best i can seal the following.

#1. Gaps where Roof and Walls meet. [Photo 1 & 2]

#2. Gaps where Floor and Walls meet. [Photo 3]

You can see in one of the photos that some water has already come in from Yesterday's Rain.

I am planning to use expanding foam for #2 above. Would that be a good idea. Should i choose a Gap filler rod+ Sealant instead?

The Gaps described in #1 above are pretty big and i am worried that expanding foam may not be a good option. 

Any expert advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Faisal

Outside view of the roof.jpgInside view of the roof.jpgInside view of the Floor.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal this garage shed from dust, water and insects?

Hi @nfaisal,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

I wouldn't advise using expanding foam as it is not designed to get wet.

For the gap between the roof and wall, I would suggest you use Suntuf Black Greca Foam Infill and Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant. You may need to remove the screws from the roof sheet to get the foam into place before rescrewing. The foam would only act as a backing for the Sika 11FC which will have to coat it entirely if you are looking to create a waterproof seal. 

I would then seal the wall sheets using the same Sika 11FC. Run a bead along the outside where the wall sheets meet the concrete to prevent any water getting in underneath the sheets.

Please note that Sika 11FC is extremely sticky so you should keep a bucket of water and some clean rags nearby while carrying out this project. I would also advise using old clothes that you can bear to lose.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

nfaisal
Just Starting Out

Thank you, Jacob! Plz excuse me for asking another question. For the recommendation below.

"The foam would only act as a backing for the Sika 11FC which will have to coat it entirely if you are looking to create a waterproof seal. ",

Do i need to coat the foam from both sides?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nfaisal 

It would provide you with a more solid seal if both sides were covered with the Sika 11FC. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects